Web UI Throws "502 Bad Gateway" Errors and SSH is not Accessible - Can I somehow reboot my server remotely?

• Hello all,

Earlier today, when checking in on my OMV server, I noticed that a disk had become unmounted. This doesn't happen often, but I have seen it before, and the solution that I have always used has been to unmount and remount the disk via the web UI. Normally this isn't an issue, but in this case, the disk that had been listed as unmounted was the boot disk. When I clicked the unmount button, everything started acting strangely (in hindsight, I should have realized that that was a pretty stupid thing to do). The web UI is throwing "502 Bad Gateway" errors now, and when I try to SSH in, my attempts are immediately rejected. This has left me unable to issue a shutdown or reboot command to the machine. The obvious solution to this is of course to physically restart the machine, but there's just one little problem with that: I'm currently traveling. My server is about 600 miles away from where I am currently located. (Of course my OMV server which works fine all days of the year gets screwed up during one of the rare times when I'm on the road and can't easily fix it. 🙄) Does anyone know of any way at all to get the machine to reboot? I suspect that the answer is no, but I figured I would take a shot at asking anyway. I am desperate to the point that I even tried execing in to a Docker container so I could run a forkbomb and trigger the watchdog to reboot the system, but unfortunately, when I try to exec in to a container, Portainer immediately kicks me out. One other thing that I am considering is using the Raspberry Pi located inside the network to hammer the server with loads of network requests, but then I runt he risk of hanging the Pi and the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most of those things wouldn't necessarily make it reboot. If ssh and the web interface aren't working, you are pretty much out of luck. You don't have a way for someone to push the power button? How are you exec'ing into the container?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Most of those things wouldn't necessarily make it reboot. If ssh and the web interface aren't working, you are pretty much out of luck. You don't have a way for someone to push the power button? How are you exec'ing into the container?

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, everyone who typically has access to the server happens to be with me. Regarding my attempt at execing in to a container, I was trying to do it via the Portainer UI. Portainer is one of the applications that is still kind of working. I can authenticate, but when I try to access the terminal, the Portainer UI kicks me out immediately.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!