Upgrade from Debian 10 w/ OMV 5 to Debian 11 w/ OMV 6

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it normal that the networking service is masked?

Nope.

From what I'm reading online seems Debian 11 should have the systemd-networkd services masked.

Which is not the case for me.

Could be it's conflicting with netplan? or netplan is using it?

Incorrect. Look at /etc/netplan/10-openmediavault-default.yaml and you will see that netplan is using networkd for its backend. netplan doesn't actually configure networking itself. It can work with network-manager as well. OMV just chooses to use networkd. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep dhcp

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As a workaround I've disabled the dhcpcd daemon.

Couldn't find what is controlling it.

Unfortunately I've also had a look at the speed of the network backups and found out they were all much slower.

The Marvell NIC is not working properly with Bullseye.

Bandwidth with iperf from 2.35 Gbps is down to 1.8 Gbps.

I'm going to backup this installation and go back to Debian 10 / OMV 5.

Not sure if I have another issue or it's really Bullseye.

• Incorrect. Look at /etc/netplan/10-openmediavault-default.yaml and you will see that netplan is using networkd for its backend. netplan doesn't actually configure networking itself. It can work with network-manager as well. OMV just chooses to use networkd.

Yes, I noticed it later.

What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep dhcp

ii dhcpcd5 7.1.0-2+b1 amd64 DHCPv4, IPv6RA and DHCPv6 client with IPv4LL support

ii isc-dhcp-client 4.4.1-2.3 amd64 DHCP client for automatically obtaining an IP address

ii isc-dhcp-common 4.4.1-2.3 amd64 common manpages relevant to all of the isc-dhcp packages

• Offizieller Beitrag

ii dhcpcd5 7.1.0-2+b1 amd64 DHCPv4, IPv6RA and DHCPv6 client with IPv4LL support

Remove this package. This is most likely where the additional IP address is coming from.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron

Bleeding edge hardware is a pain to configure and maintain but sometimes is rewarding :)

I could get the idle power consumption (AC) down to 42-45 Watts.

And I'm still missing all the goodies from the amd-pstate driver.

Bet there's no Intel configuration that can beat this cost effective combo on power consumption/performances/upgradability.

Since I've also both an USB HDD and a USB 4xHDD external enclosures I had to scout for something that could put the HDDs in standby.

Ended up reading that hd-idle was able to.

Indeed it works like a charm for USB disks.

Then I realized my 4 x Toshiba 18TB drives were able to sleep set with Standby in OMV UI but not the other 4 (2 x Toshiba and 2 x Seagate), all SATA internal.

At this point I could not get below 54W idle with some very sporadic dips down to 44W.

I've also found that querying the temperature with hddtemp would wake up briefly the MG09A disks.

Did a try enabling hd-idle also for the SATA drives and indeed it's much better.

Not only the standby power consumption went down by 10 Watts but they all go in standby and the MG09A drives are not wakeup by the hddtemp query.

At the same time the temperatures via the lm_sensors drivetemp module can be read without issue while they are sleeping.

For the temperatures is a godsend, gained 3-4 °C on the MG09A and almost 10 °C on the others (they finally sleep)

Before:

Is there any reason why OMV doesn't use hd-idle?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!