OMV interface can see preformatted drives but can't use them (e.g. create shares)

• I have OMV 6.x installed on a VM. Due to a change of hypervisor (from ESX to ProxMox) I had tood advantage to upgrade my storage controller and data drives. So I remapped the new raid volume to the OMV VM.

Now I'm a bit puzzled as under Drives I see the disks as they are mappes to the VM (no inconsitency)

However under filesystem I still see the old references missing as expected plus the volumes that were not redeployed:

However the new disks are not seen/mounted. If I attempt to mount manually the new disks are simply not available.

I read on this forum that OMV expects the disks to be formatted via the GUI. Is there a workaround for this, can an existing volume be imported and used in OMV 6.x anyhow?

Bonus question, how do I safely remove the now missing filesystems and shares pointing to them?

Thanks!

• Ok DIY this time. First time I would like to specify that I would expect the following to be made available to any user. I'm not sure why this is not yet working but I guess it has to do with the fact that OMV 6.x is still beta.

Now, your friend is blkid, the output to which gives you the uuid of all your disks installed on the system

based on the info you need to modify the OMV config.

Code
    cd /etc/openmediavault/
    cp config.xml config.xml.orig
    nano config.xml

Now 'CTRL+W' to enter in find mode and look for '<mntent>'

here you will find defined what on the GUI it's called Disks, it's pretty straight forward but things you need to know are:

- <uuid> is automatically generated and should be unique (feel free to change manually if needed)

- <fsname> and <dir> are almost similar but the uuid here must be coming from blkid so align where needed

- Do remove <mntent> content where the <uuid> defined you don't recognise (it's not visible via blkid). This happens when a disk previously defined is not available any more.

The next stage is to remove all the shares so essentially all the references to <sharefolder>

</sharefolder>

including the markup itself. Do not get tempted to just modify them, I suggest recreating the shares from scratch via the GUI.

Save (CTRL+X) and reboot.

First thing to do after the reboot is to verify the content of the fstab and see it it was generated as expected (new uuid from blkid in use) and the disks mounted under the relevant /srv folder (mount | grep /srv is your friend)

If you did everything right you should see your wanted volumes mounted and usable in the GUI. If this is the case you can now dedicate few minutes to manually re-create the shares via the GUI as wanted/needed.

Not the most straight forward part, where I got caught myself are:

- <uuid> within <mntent> is unique and different the uuid of the disk

- Attempting to modify the <sharefolder> is more time consuming that just delete everything and recreate them from scratch

I have found a considerable amount of forum post on this topic so I hope this helps other people too.

• rs232

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • .............I'm not sure why this is not yet working but I guess it has to do with the fact that OMV 6.x is still beta.

OMV 6.x is not beta. It was released in May 2022.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!