Pause automounting of drives

• I'd like to do some minor maintenance with the hard drives on my server. I'd like to unmount them and pull them out for an indeterminant time. Is there a way to temporarily pause the automounting of added filesystems without removing them from the filesystems section of the GUI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to temporarily pause the automounting of added filesystems without removing them from the filesystems section of the GUI?

No. If you want to do this, boot a live distro like systemrescue.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's frustrating, as my server fully supports hotswap and I'd rather not power down the whole thing just for this (putting the drives in the caddies I finally got.)

I made a roundabout solution for it. Unmounting the drives, then unplugging them before the OS had a chance to remount them. It worked, but I'd have rathered been able to unmount them from my desktop in my bedroom, then take my time walking downstairs to the rack to install the caddies.

But out of curiosity, how does OMV handle the automounting of drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could stop the services using them and unmount from the command line I guess. You just can't do that easily from the command line.

But out of curiosity, how does OMV handle the automounting of drives?

OMV doesn't mount anything. Linux does and that happens the same way all Linux does - fstab and systemd.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Ok. Thank you for that info. If I could pick your brain a little bit more. I've been looking into how systemd handles mounting drives and I'm still a bit confused as to what in the configuration causes a drive to get remounted after I ran an unmount command on it from the command line as root.

I've not found any .automount files, the .mount files that correspond to my drives are autogenerated from fstab. The drives in fstab don't have any automount or remounting options for example:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/860d127e-d24c-4b42-957c-fe54d36094dd /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-860d127e-d24c-4b42-957c-fe54d36094dd ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

And I can't find any service running for remounting drives except for systemd-remount-fs.service, but that's just for root and /usr/

Would you be able to point me in the right direction of some documentation that could explain what's causing the automatic remounts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sure the drive actually unmounted?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!