OMV 6 with ext4 and raid5

• Hi all,

I want to try OMV 6 with RAID5 and ext4, I have 4 3TB drives and I have a few questions:

1. How easy/hard is to replace drive that broke in omv? Will I get any info in OMV web interface that the drive needs to be replaced?

2. How easy/hard is to replace drive with the bigger one? Just turn off omv and switch drive? I dont want to lose any data and omv configs (raid5 and ext4)

• I read topic above from Fambank and I am not sure I should go with omv. I don’t want to stuck with console when my drive die. It should be much simpler (shutdown, remove drive, put new drive, turn on) like in Qnap or Synology also there should be separate chapter about this in the documentation

• Offizieller Beitrag

It should be much simpler (shutdown, remove drive, put new drive, turn on) like in Qnap or Synology

You get what you pay for. Qnap and synology have hundreds of people who work on and develop their NASes. They also have complete control of their hardware. OMV runs on everything from an RPi to huge servers. Much harder to make everything super simple. If you need simple, you will have to purchase commercial hardware or contribute to the project.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You get what you pay for.

I'm not arguing with you but,, man,, buying those turn key boxes results in a number of undesirable things:

1. Low spec hardware (without ECC ram) that, generally speaking, supports only old tech RAID.
    (With no mention or attention to backup, which is a computing sin when running RAID.)
    2. Really sparse support that, in most cases, lasts only until the end of the warranty. (Generally speaking, 1 year.)
    3. Little to no hardware expandability, beyond what's provided in the propriety device.
    4. Server software add-on's are much more limited, and potentially expensive, when compared to open source counterparts.

3. Extreme expense for what the buyer actually gets, when all of the above is considered.

This comes from experience with an HP EX470 home server. All that could be done to it was a "memory upgrade". Anything beyond that required actual modification, hacking it for access to BIOS, etc. Not too long after I bought it, Microsoft abandoned the OS - MS Home Server. (From there, there was no path to loading another OS without, again, hacking the device.) Even during the supported period, ALL server add-on's were 3rd party that had unreasonable prices for home use, for the function they served.

It should be much simpler (shutdown, remove drive, put new drive, turn on) like in Qnap or Synology also there should be separate chapter about this in the documentation

Something you might consider:
    In this one thread, you've received more responses than you're likely to get from tech support at Qnap or Synology. So, if you decide to go the commercial route, hopefully you won't have a problem that is not covered in their documentation and / or is outside of the warranty period.

• In this one thread, you've received more responses than you're likely to get from tech support at Qnap or Synology. So, if you decide to go the commercial route, hopefully you won't have a problem that is not covered in their documentation and / or is outside of the warranty period.

That is true and I am very grateful

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not arguing with you but,, man,, buying those turn key boxes results in a number of undesirable things:

I have owned or maintained multiple QNAPs. They all ran OMV though. Just saying that OMV is free and there are effectively two people working on it in their free time. So, OMV is not going to have everything the paid device has with hundreds of people working on it.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!