Smb shares and visibility

• Hello everyone. I'm working on this for more than a month and i cant find solution. Im working at school. My job is creating educational materials for kids. Beacuse everyday colleges come to me to browse materials and pick what they need i decided to create local server so everybody can browse files on their pc. Ethernet is working flawless, however samba is not visible trough wi fi. I can accsess webui with wi fi, but in network there is no shared folder. So i connected usb wi fi card added it in interfeces and then my folder is visible with wi fi. However, that is slower and its not working stable. After some time it just disconects from network. Is that because i have 2 interfaces? Wlan and ethernet? Wifi usb adapter is tp link t2u plus. It wasnt working from start, but i installed drivers and it was recognized by omv. Do i need to bridge them?

Edit: one more question. Is it possible to be connected with ethernet and wlan at same time? I managed that, eth is on static ip. However wlan connects only when i choose ipv6 dhcp.

• Me again. With same problem. When omv is connected via lan, every pc with lan connection can access smb shared folders. However computers with wifi dont see samba shared folder, but they can use ftp. When i connect omv with wifi, then people with wi fi connections can see samba shared folders. How is this possible? Appreciate any help, this really took so long with no resolving.

• Sounds like a setting in your router to me. Many routers have an option to set wifi to isolation or guest mode that keeps them from seeing the rest of the network. Some devices may also require that the ssid is the same as the workgroup/domain name of your network.

• Thank you for your answer. Can i try something to resolve this? Only problem is that samba is waaaay to slower on wifi than lan... And i have asus pci express wifi with intel chip. Its like 7mb when copying files from server to pc. With lan its like 140mb... And i can connect with wi fi only when i choose ipv6 dhcp and lan ipv4 static.

• Yes, you have to log into your router and check/correct the settings. I can't tell you any more than that. as every router is different with regards to what options are there, where they are located, what ip address they use, what the default password is (assuming it has not been changed), etc.

If you are not comfortable doing this I suggest you call someone who is.

• Thank you. This was driving me crazy. Unfortunately there is no way for me to acssess the router settings. Its locked up. So i will just leave like this. Thanks again.

• Is the router one you purchased or or one provided by your ISP?

If it's one you purchased but have not done any configuration on, they have a default user and password for login, which can be found with a little web search (ie. what is the default login for a dlink router?).

If it's one you purchased but can't remember the login info, it can be reset to factory default (once again a little web search), but you would have to re-do any settings you had customized in there.

If it is a router supplied by your ISP, there is often a sticker on them with login info or they will prompt you to set a password the first time you try to login. If you can't get in, your ISP's support people should be able to help.

• Hello, sorry for late response. I contacted everyone evolved in this, and definitely i cant access it (they dont let me...) . Server is in school, and thats a problem. Thank you for everything. I have one more question. Lan is working great, pci express wifi with intel chipset is like 7mb/s... Can i add one more wi fi adapter? Its usb interface, and slower than intel. Will that increase speed at all?

• Hello, sorry for late response. I contacted everyone evolved in this, and definitely i cant access it (they dont let me...) . Server is in school, and thats a problem. Thank you for everything. I have one more question. Lan is working great, pci express wifi with intel chipset is like 7mb/s... Can i add one more wi fi adapter? Its usb interface, and slower than intel. Will that increase speed at all?

You never mentioned that this was not a home setup. In that case I can understand why they have the wifi and wired connections isolated.

Regarding your wifi question, there is one thing to keep in mind. wifi is always going to be slower than wired connections.

That said 7mb/s is extremely slow, but 7mB/s for wifi is not nearly as bad. Notice the difference in the lower case b and the upper case B. This is the difference between bits and bytes. There are 8 bits in one byte. this means that 7 mb/s is not even 1 mB/s but 7mB/s is 56mb/s (7 x 8 = 56 to convert bytes to bits).

Keeping that in mind, depending on your wifi type, you may not be able to get any better, regardless of the speed of your wifi card. The original wifi variety used in routers and cards was only 54mb/s. (notice how close this is to the 56mb/s number the math above came up with). Later wifi versions increased the maximum speeds but they are maximums, not guaranteed.

With wifi, only one device can transmit or recieve at a time. If you have a lot of wifi devices, everything has to wait it's turn, making every device slower.

Wifi signal strength is also a factor. The lower the signal strength, the slower the devices tend to operate because of loss in transmission packets. Interference from other electronics in the area or radio tranmitters on or close to the wifi channels will also reduce signal strength and quality, as will the signal having to pass through walls, ceilings, and floors (concrete and steel are far worse than wood.)

So, after all the background information, to answer your questions, "Can i add one more wi fi adapter? Its usb interface, and slower than intel. Will that increase speed at all?":

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer without knowing more about the equipment and the environment. Generally though, adding additional cards (ie. having more than one wifi connection) will not likely improve anything because multiple connections can potentially cause routing errors if you could get it to work, but changing to a faster card may help if the wifi access point you are connected to supports faster speeds than your current card, the access point isn't being swarmed by too many wifi connections, and the signal is not being degraded too much from interference or by passing through walls, ceilings or floors,

• Thank you. Yes i think these speeds i get with wi fi are maximum. I tried all wi fi cards and this one asus pce-ac58bt ac2100 is best definitely. Thanks again for explanation, really appreciate it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!