OMV on Dell OptiPlex 7040 Micro i5

• Hi I would like to start my new story with OMV6. Therefore I decided to buy Dell OptiPlex 7040 Micro i5 16GB and install OMV on Proxmox. This small computer has SATA and slot for SSD nvme M2. I would like to buy 2x SSDv(1TB each) one 2,5" and second nvme and make RAID1 (mirroring). Question is, does the OMV supports two different types of hard drives? And the other question is, what do you think is it better to buy dedicated SSD for NAS i.e. wd red or buy good SSD with high TBW and lifespan?

• Question is not, do I need RAID1 or not. Because of my experience I know that hard drives sometimes can be unreadable. I don't want to spend $$$ to recover data by Ontrack or other tool. I want to use it mainly as a centralised backup of my data. There fore two disks and RAID1. So does OMV handle two different types of hard drives in RAID1 and is it better to buy good SSD or dedicated for NAS?

• geaves you inspired me. From the other hand what I need is to have access to my data all the time and keep them safe on the other physical drive. What are the possibilities in that approach, what can offer OMV to have synchronized data on both drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

:) ok I'll answer your specific question from your first post, theoretically there should be no issue, fundamentally users who come in to the NAS world for the first believe that creating or using a Raid is a must have on a NAS setup.

Yes a Raid 1 will synchronise data across both drives, if a drive fails the data is still available on the second, you replace the failed drive and during the rebuild process the good drive fails, now what. The raids toast, the data's gone so you come back here looking for assistance, to which we'll suggest replace the now failed drive start again and restore from backup, and you'll reply I don't have a back up.

I run zfs, I also have an internal drive that backs up my data via rsync, I also have an external drive that backs up the data I don't want to lose (so that's like a double back up) but that drive is then synced to cloud storage.

Do you see what I'm trying to get at, how important is your data, Raid is fine if you understand how it works and how to recover, that's why we always say to users instead of Raid 1 use the two drives separately, one for data the other for back up. Then use another drive to back up the backup if you don't want to lose anything.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Last question what do you think about SSD

I don't use SSD's :) mine are all spinning drives, but this is NAS, a headless server, you're accessing data not running Call of Duty

Why do you want to use Proxmox? have you used it before? What's your boot device going to be?

• Proxmox because I want to install also open VPN, home assistant and something more ;-).

You have right with hard drives but I would like to have it in a room and this small computer should be very very silent with less power consumption as it possible. Boot device will be SSD (from my current raspberry pi) with USB and SATA adapter. Currently I'm using dockers on raspberry pi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to install also open VPN, home assistant and something more

Docker + OMV has it's own KVM plugin

Boot device will be SSD (from my current raspberry pi) with USB and SATA adapter

:/ this is the part I can never understand, I run from a usb flash drive 16GB and it only consumes just over 4GB, I run the backup plugin every Sunday which writes an image to one of my drives, on Monday I write that image to another usb flash drive.

OK, why not repurpose the Pi to run Home Assistant only and move everything else to your new machine

• The reason why ssd (external drive) is because I had bad luck with SD card and all what I had configured in HA goes down and SD card was dead.

Yes I could have Pi with HA, I'm still thinking on it. We will see

• How much data do you currently have that should be stored on the NAS? What is this data, and how much is changing?

Depending on the amount of data and the other ansers, I would advise you:

1x Data SSD in the NAS

1x Backup SSD in NAS <- job to sync data regulary, or use Borg Backup

1x backup SSD external <- your job to sync data regulary

For me, Home Assistant runs wonderfully as a Docker container "in parallel" with OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!