Running OMV 5 with ZFS + MergerFS + SnapRAID - how to upgrade to OMV 6 without nuking my world?

• I have a somewhat peculiar installation (see this for a common problem ZFS users have) with ZFS (via openmediavault-zfs 5.0.6) in the mix on OMV 5 with MergerFS (via openmediavault-unionfilesystems 5.1.4) and SnapRAID (via openmediavault-snapraid 5.0.8). I've kinda set-it-and-forgot-it due to a lot of crazy world life stuff, but I believe it's time that I need to revisit the system and get everything upgraded.

Previously I had troubles with manually needing to prepend "_netdev" (see above) to the `fuse.mergerfs` /etc/fstab line after updates before insomuch that it didn't want to boot unless I did this since the plugin removed that each time upon any config changes.

I've already done an `apt-get update; apt-get upgrade` and `dpkg -l | grep openmediavault` shows I'm at `5.6.26-1`. I've done both an `omv-update` and `omv-upgrade` (after it told me that the update is deprecated) and nothing seemed to really happen there out of the ordinary... System actually rebooted fine and things seem "okay" insofar as I can tell except for some strangeness with adding external drives on SnapRAID right now (which I'll save for another post as I think it might be wise to get the system fully upgraded and functional before tackling storage issues again).

Are there any gotchas or considerations that I need to look at closely before pulling the trigger on a dist-upgrade? I certainly would prefer to have and keep things in mind as I move forward during a process that could get bumpy. I also would really appreciate it if someone might throw a link or two at me regarding recovering if things go sideways during the upgrade process and I may need to manually modify anything to get the system to boot and work properly following an attempted and or screwy experience.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

dist-upgrade won't do anything for you. omv-release-upgrade is what you want. There are a few guides about it.

Nothing special about zfs and mergerfs and snapraid. The upgrade should move your from the unionfilesystems (mergerfs) to the mergerfs plugin. While it does migrate the pool, it is sometimes better to create a new pool. The _netdev issues should be a thing of the past since the mergerfs plugin is using systemd mounts to mount the mergerfs pools.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!