Issue with system monitoring and CPUTemp - collectd.service not working

• Hi,

I just switched from OMV5 to 6 and even after third fresh installation I'm having trouble with the system monitoring.

OMV is installed this way: https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…omv6:raspberry_pi_install

Everything seems to be fine in the beginning, I can activate/deactivate/activate the monitoring and the graphs are working.

After installing the CPUTemp-Plugin it seems to be still working, but after de-activating and re-activating the monitoring I get this error.

The error still exists after removing the CPUTemp-Plugin.

Shortened error message (full message in attachement):

System: Raspberry Pi 4b, Raspian Lite 64bit, OS on SD-Card, no other drives connected.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The cputemp plugin is a dashboard widget only and does nothing with collectd. So, you are going down the wrong trail of what is causing the problem. That said, there is a reason the installation disables monitoring especially on an RPi - it will destroy your SD card in very short order (I've seen it happen in two days).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The SD-card is just a temporary solution for testing the new system. When everything works fine I move it to a SSD.

If it's not related to the CPUTemp-Plugin, what else could it be?

I didn't change anything else, not even the password.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SD-card is just a temporary solution for testing the new system

You said you have installed three times. That is a lot of wear on the sd card. If it is not a new sd card, it is possible the card is failing and causing collectd to fail to start due to corruption. That said, the collectd service is failing to start. You posted the output of systemctl status collected but not the other output that the error is recommending - journalctl. I don't use the monitoring myself but I would look at sudo journalctl -u collectd.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I checked "journalctl -xe" but couldn't see anything useful, but thanks for the tip, seems like rrdcached is having troubles.

• So I reinstalled yesterday on a SSD, monitoring worked fine. Now I installed CPUTemp-Plugin, still fine. Installed Borgbackup-Plugin, same issue again.

Even if I deactivate the OMV monitoring, my syslog gets now spammed with these errors (even right after reboot):

So I checked with ldd and it tells me libsensor.so.5 is missing. Seems like there is a package libsensors5 available.

Should I install it?

Code
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ldd /usr/lib/collectd/sensors.so
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x0000007fbce9d000)
        libsensors.so.5 => not found
        libc.so.6 => /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x0000007fbcce4000)
        /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1 (0x0000007fbce6d000)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

So I checked with ldd and it tells me libsensor.so.5 is missing. Seems like there is a package libsensors5 available.

Should I install it?

cputemp plugin installs lm-sensors and should have installed libsensors5. I think the install didn't go well. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep -E "openme|sensors"

• I think this explains why it does not work.

Run journalctl -f and systemctl restart collectd in parallel to hopefully see more details in the syslog.

Doesn't seem very helpful.

Code
    Jan 24 19:34:12 raspberrypi sudo[6188]:       pi : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/pi ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl restart collectd
    Jan 24 19:34:12 raspberrypi sudo[6188]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by pi(uid=1000)
    Jan 24 19:34:12 raspberrypi sudo[6188]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root

Code
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo dpkg -l | grep -E "openme|sensors"
    ii  openmediavault                       6.1.7-1                          all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-flashmemory           6.2                              all          folder2ram plugin for openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault-keyring               1.0                              all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg          6.1.1                            all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault

I removed the CPUtemp-Plugin for testing.

I think I got something like error 500 connection lost during plugin installation. Could this be the issue? Installation seemed to be complete.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My last release of the cputemp plugin accidentally included a collectd sensors module. Removing the plugin should fix that but I will release an update.

• I have the same issue as the OP, except not on a raspberry pi. Before I found this thread, I had already uninstalled the cputemp plugin, but the yellow banner still persists. Is there any way to fix the errors seen when running omv-salt deploy run collectd or the yellow banner? Is it safe to proceed using my server like normal?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any way to fix the errors seen when running omv-salt deploy run collectd or the yellow banner? Is it safe to proceed using my server like normal?

You shouldn't have to remove the cputemp plugin. Just update it. Post the output of omv-salt deploy run collectd.

• Well, I updated my system with omv-upgrade, and now it will not reboot. There is a blinking cursor before GRUB loads, and that's it. I have no idea why it is doing this. The only things that changed was updating it. And after I updated, the yellow banner still persisted. The cputemp plugin was uninstalled. Then I rebooted from the webUI.

Post the output of omv-salt deploy run collectd.

I still happen to have the output of the command *before* I updated....

root@epic-server:~# omv-salt deploy run collectdepic-server.local:---------- - Pastebin.com
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
    pastebin.com

This is probably breaking everything because of the new version update, but it could somehow be the bad plugin+uninstalling it before updating. I genuinely don't know.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The grub issue is not realted to the cputemp plugin or collectd. And the only problem with the cputemp plugin was that it was pushing a sensors plugin to collectd but not configuring it. So, it really was pretty minor. Sure it wouldn't allow collectd to start but it wouldn't cause booting or file sharing issues.

This is probably breaking everything because of the new version update, but it could somehow be the bad plugin+uninstalling it before updating. I genuinely don't know.

Your output confirms the only issue was collectd not being able to start. Removing the cputemp plugin or updating it to 6.1.3 would've fixed that. Not knowing what you updated with omv-upgrade, I can't say why grub is having issues.

• I may have a corrupted stick drive. In my boot menu there is no longer an option for UEFI boot, it is defaulting to legacy. And when it defaults to legacy booting from the UEFI stick drive it's not working. So it is not the cpupower plugin, its either corrupted drive (sad but possible) or major software failure (unlikely).

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are having problems with collectd, that means Monitoring is probably enabled and this probably killed your stick.

• If you are having problems with collectd, that means Monitoring is probably enabled and this probably killed your stick.

It is enabled, I never knew it could kill my stick drive. I successfully ran a stick drive from April 2022 to early this January, with monitoring, without issues. But good to know it could be the cause.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I successfully ran a stick drive from April 2022 to early this January, with monitoring, without issues.

That makes sense. The stick just ran out of writes. Did you have the flashmemory plugin installed?

• That makes sense. The stick just ran out of writes. Did you have the flashmemory plugin installed?

It was actually a different stick drive that ran without issue, for all I know it's still fine. But the current (corrupted) one, I had to install OMV or debian on it probably 12 or 13 times, while I troubleshot and figured out some issues with the OMV iso and GRUB. And yes, the flashmemory plugin was enabled. I will order some new stick drives, probably 32GB sandisks.

• jaydi

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!