What filesystem use for single data SSD (2TB) in a home server? XFS, or EXT4? F2FS?

• Optiplex micro home server, no RAID now, or in foreseeable future, (no free slots).

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD. used for files not larger than 10GB, many small files, timemachine backups, movies, books, music. A quota will be used to limit folder size. LUKS is used before any filesystem.

Power loss is realistic and sort of common (3x per year) in my area, due to storms.

What will be the most consistent, fault-tolerant, and easy to recover?

I am thinking XFS, or EXT4? F2FS? Maybe I am overthinking it. It's 2023. A lot of myths are things of the past. What should I use? Why?

• SeriozniTata

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If you're unsure and want a truly stable file system, it's hard to beat EXT4. But there are a LOT of opinions along these lines.

Since this is a generic question, you might want to do an internet search. Here's one example with a search for "linux best filesystem for ssd". -> article.

• Personally I like XFS for data drives as a lot of my files are large video files, and XFS tends to perform better with larger files, however it has the drawback of not being able to undelete files. That said Ext4 is also quite good and does support undelete. For the OS dive, Ext4 is a good choice.

• Is one format faster than the other? I have 80% loaded 1TB hdd one ext4, and another NTFS but when i play files on my smart tv (smb share) it takes sooo long to read and acces complex archive. Could XFS be better at this?

Hardware:

HP T630 thin client

CPU 4x2.0-2.2 GHz

RAM 4Gb

system: 32ssd m2 sata

storage: 256 gb m2 sata, 2x 1TB hdd 2.5" via USB 3.0

• XFS may be better since it is optimized for larger files, but Ext4 is not bad either. In either case if you go down that road a test could be warrented. NTFS (native for windows) is not a good choice for a filesystem on Linux, as it doesn't support linux permissions and will likely be slower since it isn't native.

Between the XFS and ext4 options, both are robust and well established on linux.

Before you go switching file systems though, lets talk about your connection speeds.

How are you accessing the shares from the TV? Is it wired or wifi?

If it's wifi, that brings a whole new set of problems into the mix, such as slower speeds to begin with, signal strength, radio frequeny interference from other wifi devices in your area and the related channel cross-talk of the carrier frequencies, and also the fact that only one device can transmit or receive over wifi at a time on a given network, so the more devices on the network the slower every wifi device gets.

• Yes i tested wifi at first but when i got transfers around 20-25MB/s i figured out that my router suports only 802.11ac wifi. After this iscovery I switched to wire, where transfers peeked to around 100-120MB/s, which was very ok for me.

I tested different hdd- ext 4 with same data and still, at my tv some files need longer time to load, then some of them were partially loaded, or connection was lost. TV is sony x85j, android tv.

Due to this problems i wonder to buy dedicated nas server like synology or qnap, instead of omv, even if community support over here is very good, but there still are problems here and there.

Hardware:

HP T630 thin client

CPU 4x2.0-2.2 GHz

RAM 4Gb

system: 32ssd m2 sata

storage: 256 gb m2 sata, 2x 1TB hdd 2.5" via USB 3.0

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!