Backup solution

• Dear community,

I just set up my first NAS server and after some researching went with OMV6 . So far setup went well and (almost) everything I wanted to implement is working and frankly I think it's just awesome!

As this project started out as an experiment, I went with hardware I had lying around. The server is an old ASUS notebook with an 7th gen. i5, 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. For NAS storage I connected an external 5TB hdd to the notebook.

In my home network there are 2 notebooks with limited mass storage, so my main goals with this project were having a NAS with storage for media, pictures etc., as well as storage for backups of the 2 windows notebooks.

After a lot of research I went with UrBackup as backup solution for the windows machines. I use a 1TB btrfs partition on the external hdd as backup destination. So far this works flawlessly, backing up around 130 GB of data over the LAN in about 60 min, and incremental backups usually only take a very few minutes. Furthermore I'm impressed with the snapshot feature of urbackup/btrfs which really only uses as much diskspace as new data is being backed up.

Now to my question:

I want to implement a second backup for redundancy. This backup should contain 1) the backups done by UrBackup and 2) some of the data on the NAS. As backup destination I want to use a second external HDD which I would only connect for backups every week or so.

Now, for backing up the UrBackup files I guess I could just use the OMV USB backup plugin. But for the NAS data I would prefer a backup tool that uses snapshots. Ideally both backups should start upon connecting the target USB-hdd and unmount that drive as soon as backup is complete.

Are there any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Many thanks and greetings!

• I suggest restic for backing up. It uses snapshots and quite a good backup tool. I use it for my backups. You could just run it weekly. Since most is explained in the documentation linked below, I don't have to explain more, but you can read up on it there.

I think automatic mounting, starting the backup script and unmounting after it is finished have to all be scripted yourself though and you should know how to script with bash a bit.

Restic Documentation — restic 0.15.2 documentation

• But for the NAS data I would prefer a backup tool that uses snapshots.

Why would you want snapshots as offline backup?

I use the USB backup plugin to back up everything. I connect this drive weekly and only takes around 10minutes, 5GB that changed I guess. I have more than 1TB of data stored that rsync checks if it has changed (4TB drives). I does take more like 30min to 1h if I added a lot of data in that week.

Just to give you an idea if time was your constraint.

omv 6

Plugins - omvExtras | LVM2 | Compose plugin | SFTP | ...

System - x86 intel

• Offizieller Beitrag

This backup should contain 1) the backups done by UrBackup and 2) some of the data on the NAS. As backup destination I want to use a second external HDD which I would only connect for backups every week or so.

Regarding #1:
    I use Urbackup as well and I've done a few client restores from it. One was a full restore test, a couple were actual client drive failure restores and I've recovered deleted client files. It works well. However, with client backups you already have two copies; the client itself is one copy and the backup is the second copy. For my purposes that has been enough.

Regarding #2:
    I would backup ALL data on the NAS. Otherwise, over time, there's a good chance that you'll lose what you don't have backed up. (When a single copy is gone, there is no recovery.)
    With that said, there are many ways to backup data. My personal preference is a second server which can be an SBC. (I have an Odroid HC4 and an R-PI4 that I've tested and used for this purpose.)
    If you want to use a server connected external drive as the backup destination, give -> the backup section of the OMV Utilities, Backup and Maintaince doc a read. While Rsync is not the most sophisticated backup solution available, it works fine, it's time tested, it's easy to setup and easy to restore. How to set up Rsync, and restore from a failure, is covered in the document.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!