Kernel Panic

• I've been having random kernal issues for a couple of months now. Random things not working, etc. Now today, I can't boot. I admit I tried to downgrade to 5.15 via prox mox before this happened, but now I can't even boot and I'm not sure how to proceed without losing my OS data.

UUd4Bc1.jpg

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• From your other thread, I'm guessing you've rebuilt.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the CPU failed on me and I messed up the motherboard during the swap process.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I took it apart though, the paste was kind of crusty along the edges.

That leaves a (forever) unanswered question:
    Did the CPU fry because the thermal paste was no longer conducting heat to the sink?
    (OR)
    Did the thermal paste get crusty because the CPU malfunctioned and got to hot?

In either case, use the good stuff (Artic Silver or something similar) on the next CPU.

• That leaves a (forever) unanswered question:
    Did the CPU fry because the thermal paste was no longer conducting heat to the sink?
    (OR)
    Did the thermal paste get crusty because the CPU malfunctioned and got to hot?

In either case, use the good stuff (Artic Silver or something similar) on the next CPU.

Good question that I sadly think don't ever will be answered. I had thermal throttling enabled on the motherboard, so I was under the impression getting to hot was not possible (for too long anyway) and the system would just run at slower speeds. I had used MX-4 and installed it in mid 2017, and the system only had about 35k hours on it before this failure.

I've since purchased thermal grizzly as my replacement as I'm not sure this MX-4 paste is still good in the tube. Also after seeing what it turned into, I'm not sure I even wanted to use it again even if it wasn't expired.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!