umask option

• I want to set the umask for a couple of the filesystems. I can find nowhere in the GUI to add mount options. They exist in config.xml, but don't seem to be configurable from the GUI. How can I add special mount options for a filesystem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to set the umask for a couple of the filesystems. I can find nowhere in the GUI to add mount options. They exist in config.xml, but don't seem to be configurable from the GUI. How can I add special mount options for a filesystem?

You need to modify the <opts> field in the config.xml file. After that, run omv-salt deploy run fstab.

• You need to modify the <opts> field in the config.xml file. After that, run omv-salt deploy run fstab.

Ok thanks. I thought modifying the config files was no good as the changes would be lost.

I'll give that a try, Would be great to have it in the GUI though. :)

• Ok thanks. I thought modifying the config files was no good as the changes would be lost.

I'll give that a try, Would be great to have it in the GUI though. :)

Sadly it's not gonna work as I now realise that XFS does not allow a umask mount option and the volumes on which I want to set umask are of course, XFS. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sharing these files via samba?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No, NFS, but that's not relevant to the problem. The filesystem contains media files, added to by Plex and also a user specifically for that. To keep it all running smoothly, everything needs to be group writable and although I can manually adjust existing files, anything that gets added is wrong and I have to manually adjust. Ok when it's me adding the content, but when Plex is recording, I don't know when it's taking place and trying to ensure correct perms gets harder and harder. So I just want to ensure anything that gets created is created with the required perms. That would make my life a lot simpler.

However, as I mentioned, these are XFS filesystems and as far as I can determine, XFS does not support a umask mount option, so I'll have to do it by user instead. Not absolutely ideal, but acceptable and more important, doable.

One is actually a mergerfs merge and I added a umask option to that mount as it was supposed to work (according to trapexit), but it gets it all wrong and applies the same perms to both files and folders, including all existing ones and then will not allow any changes. So I've reversed that.

As I said, setting umask for the appropriate users will do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but that's not relevant to the problem

that was out of curiosity and not meant to solve the problem.

However, as I mentioned

As I said,

I know. I read your posts and follow the mergerfs issues. You don't have to reiterate everything. I was just curious about the use case and why setting perms via samba (I know you don't use it now but most OMV users do) wouldn't work. setgid would've been my next suggestion but you need them writable. But since you found a solution, I will stop annoying you.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!