HELP: OMV 6 UI after latest update (6.4.2-1) lost access to omv-extras sub-menus (Docker, Portainer, etc.)

• Hello everyone, I am facing a weird situation. After performing the latest updates (via standard stable channels) I no longer get the omv-extras arrow on the left, pointing to sub-menus.

I had already installed/activated Docker and Portainer, and I realised this missing UI menus when I entered Portainer and was prompted to update to latest version.

I re-installed omv-extras in the CLI, to no avail. I cleared the caches of the browser, same result. No access to sub-menus for Docker and Portainer.

Anyone has an idea of what may have changed or what I can check on my OMV installation? Running x64 latest 6.4.2-1 with stock/vanilla kernel. I did reboot, obviously, a few times. Changed browsers, too but same result (from Safari to Chrome on macOS).

Many thanks in advance.

OpenMediaVault 6.9.13-1 • Intel NUC NUC6CAYH • Intel Celeron J3455 • 2x4GB RAM • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB • USB Boot (System)

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Thanks Soma I had missed the update on omv-extras and the pinned thread.

Guide: omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

So for reference to any user arriving here: on my x64 installation, I had Docker and Portainer (with images/containers active) installed already. What I did, was:

• Rebooted the OMV server just in case.
    • Installed openmediavault-compose 6.7.6 in System > Plugins
    • Logged out and re-logged into OMV UI.
    • Under section Services there is now a Compose menu.
    • First we need to create a shared folder to store Compose files (thus avoiding the 500 - Internal Server Error "Please set shared folder for file storage" shown to some users) by defining a shared folder in Storage > Shared Folders menu.
    • At the same time, I logged via ssh (root) to the server and executed:

docker container stop portainer

docker container rm portainer

• Back in GUI, I selected Services > Compose and defined the "Shared folder" (top of page) from the drop-down list, with the entry created earlier.
    • Then, I went to the sub-menu Services > Compose > Files and clicked on second [+] icon "Add files from examples"
    • In the "Example" field, I selected portainer-omvextras entry from drop-down list.
    • Added custom titles/labels e.g. "Portainer" and pressed SAVE button.
    • Few seconds later, a line appears with the "Portainer" entry and (inside) its compose file; clicking on it becomes yellow and to be pulled and started i.e. press the PULL icon then the UP icon and wait.
    • Normally, the image will be pulled and the container created and started up. For Portainer, go to the OMV's IP at port 9000 and test access.
    • On CLI, the command, I can now see portainer container being there:docker container list 
    • On the UI, in Services > Compose > Containers there is also a "portainer" entry that shows as being launched/active.
    • On the browser, I can access Portainer as usual; seems the data volume was kept intact, my two containers run fine.
    • On the UI, in Services > Compose > Stats also shows the active containers (in my case: Portainer, Homebridge, Cloudflare Tunnel).

All seem to work OK and migration to the new Docker management style seems to be successful. I rebooted again, just to be sure, and everything (re)started as expected.

A final step would be to clean the space used by previous images etc. so run in CLI this only if you have all needed images and containers running OK:

docker image prune -a

Thanks again everyone for your help on the forum.

OpenMediaVault 6.9.13-1 • Intel NUC NUC6CAYH • Intel Celeron J3455 • 2x4GB RAM • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB • USB Boot (System)

• Offizieller Beitrag

A final step would be to clean the space used by previous images etc. so run in CLI this only if you have all needed images and containers running OK:

docker image prune -a

Why not run prune from the compose plugin?

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Erm... True ryecoaaron I need to change habits (for this at least) :S Nice touch adding those buttons in the plugin! Thanks for pointing this out

• Hello ryecoaaron hope you're well -- I have had a question that I've been meaning to ask you, since I switched to this new Compose plugin.

For all of us having already used OMV 6.x and having recently switched to the Compose extra and successfully upgraded with the method in above posts:

• In the OMV UI in Services > Compose > Images
      We do see Portainer and the previously installed images e.g. homebridge, cloudflared etc. that are detected;
    • In the Services > Compose > Containers
      We only see Portainer which makes sense as it was installed via that Examples script ("portainer-omvextras");
      In a clean install of OMV 6 with your new compose plugin, are we supposed to also see other active/stopped containers, too?
      Are these only listed if added via your Compose plugin or automatically detected if added via Portainer too?

My question is, how do you recommend we try adding in that a list of containers the existing ones, managed by Portainer?

Is there a way to add via some Examples script again (in "Files") whilst keeping the data intact etc.?

Will such an attempt also update Volumes, Networks lists too (in Compose sections)?

Thank you in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the OMV UI in Services > Compose > Images
    We do see Portainer and the previously installed images e.g. homebridge, cloudflared etc. that are detected;

As expected. The tab is just doing a docker image ls

In the Services > Compose > Containers
    We only see Portainer which makes sense as it was installed via that Examples script ("portainer-omvextras");
    In a clean install of OMV 6 with your new compose plugin, are we supposed to also see other active/stopped containers, too?

The Containers tab will only show containers that the plugin "owns" and is managing. If you still have containers/stacks in Portainer, it will not show them. I recommend moving the stacks to the compose plugin if you need to see them in the plugin.

Are these only listed if added via your Compose plugin or automatically detected if added via Portainer too?

Just the compose plugin.

how do you recommend we try adding in that a list of containers the existing ones, managed by Portainer?

I recommend moving them to the compose plugin by following the guide on the first post of the main thread - omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

Is there a way to add via some Examples script again (in "Files") whilst keeping the data intact etc.?

The guide explains this but if you have a stack in portainer, it can be copy and pasted into the compose plugin (no need to use examples). If you running a container, you can either build a compose file in the compose plugin, use an example, or use the autocompose option in the compose plugin.

As for intact data, if you are using persistent volumes (or named volumes), these are not a portainer construct. They are docker. So, if you stop and remove the container or stack from portainer, your data is still on your data disks. Then if you create a compose file in the compose plugin and use the same volume, your data will just be there. That is just how docker works.

Will such an attempt also update Volumes, Networks lists too (in Compose sections)?

Those tabs just show whatever docker volume ls and docker network ls report.

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!