IPv6 mngtmpaddr flapping on interface configured for SLAAC

• I've been using SLAAC for a long time, but I recently got a new router (Google Nest Wifi Pro).

Since then, I've been frequently losing my primary IPv6 address, despite its valid_lft not expiring and the advertised prefix not changing.

It will disappear for a few minutes then come back. This appears to be a reaction to router advertisements that do not include a prefix (only a route).

I'm able to tell that by running 2 terminal sessions:

1. sudo radvdump | ts
      This will show timestamped router advertisements as they arrive.
    2. while sleep 1; do echo; date -Isec; ip -6 address show scope global primary; done
      This shows the mngtmpaddr every second.

We start off looking good:

1:

2:

Then, a few minutes later, another RA comes in with only a route (no prefix), and the IPv6 address goes away:

1:

2:

Then, the original RA comes through again, and we're back to good:

1:

2:

Note that the *_lft values resume where they were.

What's causing this behavior?

It doesn't happen with my Pop!_OS (Ubuntu) laptop via WiFi, my old MacBook Pro (wired or WiFi), or any other device I have AFAICT

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • More data points:

• The issue does NOT reproduce on a Raspberry Pi (wired).
    • Kernel versions:
      • OMV server: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.7-amd64 x86_64
      • Raspberry Pi: Linux 6.1.21+ armv6l (does NOT repro)
      • Pop!_OS laptop: Linux 6.2.6-76060206-generic x86_64 (does NOT repro)
    • The issue still happens with addr_gen_mode=3 set on the interface.
      (addr_gen_mode=1 seems to prevent IPv6 from working altogether, and addr_gen_mode=2 gives "Invalid argument".)
    • This may be related to Thread/Matter support:
      https://www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/…tm_medium=web2x&context=3
    • Offizieller Beitrag

As it seems, the real issue is with the Google Nest router. If it wasn't sending malformed RA's, there wouldn't be an issue.

Despite the fact that IPV6 has been in use for awhile, a good number of OMV users disable IPV6 for reasons like this. (I'm one of them.) I suspect that implementation issues, with IPV6, will be shaking out for years to come.

With IPV4, the scope of addresses available for private networks, is more than enough for home use.

• This isn't the router's fault. systemd is not conforming to the RFCs:

Zitat

Currently, when we receive an RA from a router, we delete any addresses, routes, etc. that originated from that router's previous RAs unless they're also present as options in the new RA.

That behavior is a violation of RFC 4861.

I have no interest in disabling IPv6.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This isn't the router's fault. systemd is not conforming to the RFCs:

We could split hairs on this but it's worth noting that, to quote you ; "I've been using SLAAC for a long time, but I recently got a new router (Google Nest Wifi Pro)." As you stated it, in times prior, all was fine. Then, with the installation of a new router that sends malformed RA's, the issue began.

Have you detailed this issue on the Google Nest support -> forum?
    This particular support forum services issues and answers questions regarding Openmediavault. RFC issues with Debian's systemd are, decidedly, upstream from here.

• Zitat

Then, with the installation of a new router that sends malformed RA's, the issue began.

They aren't malformed, though... I believe they are part of Thread/Matter integration, which is a new technology that my old router did not support.

Zitat

This particular support forum services issues and answers questions regarding Openmediavault. RFC issues with Debian's systemd are, decidedly, upstream from here.

That's true; however, OMV 6 is still on oldstable, and this issue is likely fixed in the stable branch.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They aren't malformed, though... I believe they are part of Thread/Matter integration, which is a new technology that my old router did not support.

That's true; however, OMV 6 is still on oldstable, and this issue is likely fixed in the stable branch.

You could open a bug report for Debian. If you point the maintainers to the systemd commit that fixes the issue they will happily backport it to oldstable.

BTW, oldstable does not mean outdated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!