owntone computer sound; alsa missing?

• Installed owntone plugin to enable sound on my server hardware. The webui shows computer greyed out and indeed no sound is coming out.

Looked at /var/cache/owntone/owntone.conf file and audio type is set to dummy.. Via ssh I can set omv-env set OMV_OWNTONE_AUDIO_TYPE alsa, still no sound after a reboot.

Check and there is no alsa, aplay or pulseaudio on the installation?

Can I just apt install it? Am on the proxmox kernel.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von artelse () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check and there is no alsa, aplay or pulseaudio on the installation?

- OMV is a "Server" application that is designed to be "headless" (no monitor, mouse, keyboard, or "speakers" attached) and it's supported with a web browser based GUI that is opened on a LAN client.

- Sound is for desktops, with a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers directly attached.

-> Owntone is a media server that supports LAN various "clients" with audio streams from a media library that is, usually, stored on the same server.

Can I just apt install it? Am on the proxmox kernel.

I suppose you could try it but a more germane question would be, do you want a headless server or a desktop?

If you really want local sound, that suggests that you'd want a music player, a video player, etc., all of which are desktop app's. There are plenty of Linux desktop distro's, that can accommodate adding server functions, if that's the direction you want to take. For what you're suggesting, that might be a better place to start.

• According to the owntone github:

Zitat

It allows sharing and streaming your media library to iTunes (DAAP1), Roku (RSP), AirPlay devices (multiroom), Chromecast and also supports local playback.

It is also meant for local playback.

It is common to use a NAS also as a music player with a stereo set attached to it; see Synology offerings.

Also OMV has the option to set alsa in its ENV, so this assumes local playback.

In the mean time installed alsa and speaker-test runs just fine.

Now to find out how to teach owntone to output to alsa.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is also meant for local playback.

A "headless" server which is what OMV is designed for (no monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers), is not intended for local play back. A headless server is usually "out of sight" in a closet somewhere. As suggested before, if you want local playback, server functions (like an owntone media server) could be installed on a Linux Desktop client with Desktop peripherals.

Can OMV be adapted for this purpose? Maybe, but it's unlikely that you'll find many users with experience in doing that on this forum. With that said, perhaps someone will respond to this thread that can help you.

In any case, good luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The owntone openmediavault plugin is only meant for media streaming, especially for Airplay in my case. The plugin is using the Docker container for that, so it will be nearly impossible to add alsa support if it is not already included in that container. You need to have a look into the upstream project. If it is somehow possible to use Alsa, i suggest to use the composer plugin to deploy the owntone container because it is much easier to customize it to your needs which does not mean that it is not possible with the OMV plugin, but you need knowledge about podman and systemd unit files and how OMV is deploying that config files via SaltStack.

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • votdev thanks for the explanation. That's currently over my head as I'm just learning about docker, podman, etc. so over time might be able to work on this.

For now, owntone in the browser UI doesn't output sound as well and am unsure what is going on there. Also http stream http://naes.local:3689/stream.mp3 is greyed out and cannot connect.

• votdev Some more digging and it turns out to be rather simple to get audio out locally.

The only thing that needed to be done is adding this directive to docker-daapd docker-compose.yml. Created a new docker app because I couldn't figure out how to add this to the owntone plugin. You might want to add this as an option to the plugin?

BTW, thanks for OMV, am starting to like the system :)

Code
    devices:
    - /dev/snd:/dev/snd
  • votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • votdev Great that worked! One issue remains; the env for OMV_OWNTONE_AUDIO_NICKNAME is not picked up.

For those coming here from the future, this is how I got local audio out on the server:

apt install alsa-utils alsa-tools

reboot

Use alsamixer to set volumes, unmute, etc.

Test with speaker-test should work!

Set omv environmental attributess:

omv-env set -- OMV_OWNTONE_AUDIO_TYPE alsa

omv-env set -- OMV_OWNTONE_AUDIO_NICKNAME MyNAS

omv-env set -- OMV_OWNTONE_APP_CONTAINER_START_OPTIONS --device=/dev/snd

omv-env set -- OMV_OWNTONE_MPD_PORT 6600

Apply omv-env changes with:

monit restart omv-engined

omv-salt stage run prepare

omv-salt stage run deploy

User _chrony might need to be added to the audio group, but haven't tested.

• Hi,

I am a new user. Previously I successfully used owntone, but now it does not produce local sound with OMV.

Everything is up to date but the local sound does not work. Unfortunately I do not understand the instructions above.

How do I set the omv environment variables?

Thanks,

Robert

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!