Server slows down massively unless monitor and keyboard are attached

• I've come across a strange occurrence when setting up OMV.

I was able to install and set up the server just fine. However, once I packed up the monitor and keyboard used for setup, the Workbench, Samba sharing, and ssh all slowed down significantly. The workbench would take a very long time to load updated information from the server, navigating through directories in the Samba share would crash Windows Explorer, and ssh would fail to connect.

For testing, I've disconnected all drives except the boot drive (a Sandisk Cruzer 64GB flash drive connected to a USB 2.0 port).

My testing procedure is to turn on the server then attempt to connect to it over SSH from my Win10 machine.

• With both the monitor and keyboard connected, the connection is instant, as expected.
    • With either the monitor and keyboard disconnected, the connection will stall. If the connection is successful, it has significant delay. Typed characters take several seconds to appear.

Starting the server with the monitor and keyboard connected, then disconnecting either causes the same issue.

The monitor is a Viewsonic VS18172 portable monitor, connected via an HDMI to micro-HDMI cable and powered by USB-C. I have tested this with both a USB and PS/2 keyboard. Reconnecting both the monitor and keyboard immediately corrects the issue.

Would anyone know a way to further troubleshoot this issue? Thank you.

System Specs:

Intel i3-4170

Asrock H97M-ITX/ac P1.80

16GB DDR3-1333 RAM

OMV 6.0.24-1

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Without having your hardware in front of me it's have to give specific troubleshootin instructions, but based on your report, I would suggest diving into the motherboard bios and making sure you have no "eco" power save settings enabled, make sure that there are no halt on error settings enabled, and make sure that the gpu configurations are correct and explicitly enabled, not left at auto if you have the option, as this could cause the gpu to not fully initialize without the monitor connected and disable when you disconnect it.

Something that may also help is an hdmi "dummy". I didn't have the same slowdown problem setting up my system, but I was getting bios beep warning's for no display connected during boot up. In order to address this and to ensure that my AMD 5600G gpu core initialized correctly, I put an HDMI dummy plug on the system

• I've done more testing with the BIOS, explicitly enabling the onboard GPU and disabling any power-saving features. Nothing seems to help.

I have a Teensy 4.0, which I placed into USB keyboard mode, but it seems it wasn't able to fool the BIOS. The PS/2 keyboard resistor trick didn't work either. Shame.

I'll order an HDMI dummy to see if that helps. Additionally, I'll order a USB 10-key numpad, to shuck for its PCB to use as a makeshift dongle. This should hopefully not take up too much room, I think I could fit it inside the server's case.

Thanks for the help BernH , admittedly I'm trying to make a non-server mobo behave headlessly, which from what I can see on this forum can be a real pain sometimes. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!