Storage RAID 5 and Dashboard reported capacity don't match (not even close)

• Storage Software RAID (RAID 5) reports: 10.92 TB
    • Storage Disks reports 5.46 TB for each N300 6TB drives

this is correct you don't get a full 6TB out of a 6TB

my 18TB x 6 gives 16.37TB each drive

so 90TB is 81TB

as for the random sizes i have no clue lol

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Blue Coffee, I don't want to seem ungrateful for your response. But did you read all of the data? I provided all the information for consideration including the "Dashboard "File System" - table version reports: 6.74 TB capacity". I also said that none of the reported capacities throughout the OMV report the same capacity. Capacity is capacity. Before I retired, I was a Director of Computer support services for Unisys. The storage team reported to me: Oracle, Sybase, SQL. I understand there is overhead costs per disk in storage but not that much. Now if the reported capacity in OMV is 10.93 TB, I can buy that but not 6.75 as reported by the Dashboard "File System" - table version. Additionally, I would say based on my experience that raw NEW capacity from drives like 6TB should not be reporting a loss of ~520 GB for overhead or WHATEVER. Again, if all 3 capacities reported in OMV were the same, then perhaps I would not have a leg to stand on but non of them agree with each other and one show's almost half of what I should be seeing 10.92 TB versus 6.75 TB. Nobody can defend this. It has to be a bug.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dashboard "File System" - table version reports: 6.74 TB capacity

The filesystems table doesn't report total capacity. It reports used and available.

Dashboard "File System" - grid version reports: 10.83 TB capacity

This is correct for a three 6TB raid 5 array.

Storage Disks reports 5.46 TB for each N300 6TB drives

Drive capacity is misunderstood sooooo often. A 6TB is 5.46 TiB which is what OMV is reporting. You can't just drop the important 'i'

It has to be a bug.

There is no bug here.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Blue Coffee, I don't want to seem ungrateful for your response. But did you read all of the data? I provided all the information for consideration including the "Dashboard "File System" - table version reports: 6.74 TB capacity". I also said that none of the reported capacities throughout the OMV report the same capacity. Capacity is capacity. Before I retired, I was a Director of Computer support services for Unisys. The storage team reported to me: Oracle, Sybase, SQL. I understand there is overhead costs per disk in storage but not that much. Now if the reported capacity in OMV is 10.93 TB, I can buy that but not 6.75 as reported by the Dashboard "File System" - table version. Additionally, I would say based on my experience that raw NEW capacity from drives like 6TB should not be reporting a loss of ~520 GB for overhead or WHATEVER. Again, if all 3 capacities reported in OMV were the same, then perhaps I would not have a leg to stand on but non of them agree with each other and one show's almost half of what I should be seeing 10.92 TB versus 6.75 TB. Nobody can defend this. It has to be a bug.

I did say this.

as for the random sizes i have no clue lol

Ive just checked on my OMV as i only have the grid abled I added the table as well.

Grid says /dev/nvme0n1p1 826.15 GiB 89.65 GiB

table says /dev/nvme0n1p1 915.82 GiB 10.0%

from the look of it if i knock 10% of 915.82 it gives 826.15.

so have you used about 4TB on data?

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• ryecoaaron, indeed you are correct. I quickly assumed the that table and grid file system reported the same information just in different layouts. Why is the grid file system showing slightly different capacities 10.83 TiB vs 10.92 under RAID 5 management? What am I missing?

• ryecoaaron got me the answers I needed. I provided one follow-up question, then I'm good. Thanks again for the quick response.

Rob

• acuity2009

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Why is the grid file system showing slightly different capacities 10.83 TiB vs 10.92 under RAID 5 management? What am I missing?

The array is 10.92 TiB which the Raid tab reports but the filesystem is 10.83 TiB (dashboard is reporting filesystem sizes) because the filesystem needs space for journals, inodes, etc.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron got me the answers I needed. I provided one follow-up question, then I'm good. Thanks again for the quick response.

Rob

He's Da Man

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!