Can't boot after BIOS reset

• Hello, I am in process of testing OMV and found it is not possible to boot [no boot media found] after BIOS / CMOS is reset to factory defaults or when system disk is replaced and then installed back. I found no way to get it working again other than OMV reinstallation. Secure boot is disabled and Legacy support enabled however OMV is installed as UEFI, HP Prodesk G5.

This behavior is absolutely insane. Can be anything done to prevent or sort out this issue?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

This behavior is absolutely insane. Can be anything done to prevent or sort out this issue?

This is how uefi works. You could try booting the Debian 11 netinst iso and choose the repair option. It will need to rewrite the uefi boot option and possibly fix grub.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This is how uefi works. You could try booting the Debian 11 netinst iso and choose the repair option. It will need to rewrite the uefi boot option and possibly fix grub.

Thank you for fast reply. Here are steps which worked for me. Maybe it will help somebody with zero experiences with Linux like me. I have no idea if process is absolutely correct but it worked for me

1. Download "rEFInd" -> "A USB flash drive image file" from https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html

2. Flash iso to USB drive for example via "balenaEtcher"

3. Boot from rEFInd USB

4. Select to boot from "Boot EFI\debian\grubx64.efi from 510MiB FAT volume" - this will load your OMV installation

5. Boot to OMV or Advanced/Recovery

6. Login as user with root privileges then run command "sudo -i" (or login as root via recovery option)

7. run command "grub-install"

8. Remove USB bootable drive and reboot

Done.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!