E-Mail-Notification Send Test-Mail results in E-Mail-Account-Lockdown

• Hello!

Yesterday I tried to set up the E-Mail-Notification and alway got 501 errors and the failure "E-Mail-Sender-Adress from ISP not allowed" when I tried to send a Test-E-Mail.

It took a few tries to solve this problem, but finally I could solv the problem.

A short time later suddenly I can´t receive or send E-Mails anymore. My password was always rejected. I thought that my ISP had server problems, so I decided to wait until today morning. But today I still had the same problem. Finally I called the tech hotline of my ISP for helping me. They said, that my Account was disabled because I sent more than 500 mails the last 2 days.
    I only sent a few Test-E-Mails manually yesterday and I don´t have any virus?

How can I encircle this failure to prevent happening this once again? The syslogs doesn´t give me a hint how many mails were sent yesterdy.

Grüße

Rick

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rpi4-NAS Eigenbau mit 1x SSD (Crucial MX500), OMV6 auf SSD installiert, keine SD-Card

Fujitsu Futro S940: 16GB RAM, 128GB SATA-SSD für OMV, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD WD-Red SN700 @ PCIe 1x

+ 1x Ext-HDD@ USB3: 4TB WD-Red Plus

• Who are you with? I have gmx.com for stuff like this.

OMV - 7.1.1-1

Kernel - Linux 6.1.0-21-amd64

HP Z620 - Intel Xeon CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz, 64gb Ram

Drives - 5TB Backup, 1TB Backup Master, 256gb SSD Boot, 2tb nvme CCTV, 1tb nvme Data, 2tb nvme Leeching, 24TB Media (8TBx3 Merg)

• Who are you with? I have gmx.com for stuff like this.

My local ISP: liwest

If your system is in a bad shape monitd can flood your email queue. To prevent filling the email queue there is a daily cron job that kills all emails. So i'm wondering what is going on.

I shutdown my server after I configured the E-Mail-Notification successfully yesterday (I finally received the Test E-Mail). So the 500 E-Mails must have been sent within 1 hour during I was solving the problem. So the daily cron job couldn´t contain the problem, I think.

So I downloaded and checked the syslog yet and the log is filled with errors, although I only hit a few times the Test-Button:

Code
    Dec  6 21:14:42 s940 postfix/smtp[17769]: 106995A1: replace: header Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender: Subject: [S940.local] Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Dec  6 21:14:43 s940 postfix/smtp[17769]: 106995A1: to=<xxx@xxx.com>, relay=xx.xxx.at[212.33.55.20]:587, delay=14, delays=0/14/0.18/0.09, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host xx.xxx.at[212.33.55.20] said: 501-Die Absenderadresse xxx@xxx.com darf nicht mit diesem 501-Mailkonto xxx verwendet werden. 501-The sender address (xxx@xxx.com) is not allowed for this 501 account. (in reply to end of DATA command))

Grüße

Rick

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rpi4-NAS Eigenbau mit 1x SSD (Crucial MX500), OMV6 auf SSD installiert, keine SD-Card

Fujitsu Futro S940: 16GB RAM, 128GB SATA-SSD für OMV, 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD WD-Red SN700 @ PCIe 1x

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von rick00 ()

• Is there a way to limit the maximal outgoing amount of mails per day?

Grüße

Rick

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to limit the maximal outgoing amount of mails per day?

I think so. OMV already sets some throttling settings in postfix, see https://github.com/openmediava…tfix/files/main.cf.j2#L61. But i think there is more that postfix provides. But you need to do find out that on your own. We can assist you when it comes to how to apply these special postfix settings.

• So far I could find out, postfix has no option to limit the maximum amout of outgoing mails.

Postfix Configuration Parameters

"Postfix does not have built in support for rate limiting, you will have to use a policy daemon for that. a good one is policyd:"

About

I also find that Guide: This document is geared towards using Policyd (cluebringer) on Ubuntu to limit mail with Postfix.

But unfortunalely this is for a beginne like me to complex.

There are some workarounds to embark the amount of outgoing mails per time unit:

Rate Limiting with Postfix

Postfix: limit outgoing mail throttling

Postfix : Rate limit based on recipients throttling

Example:

Code
    smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 2
    anvil_rate_time_unit = 60s

The above settings will allow a given user to send a maximum of two messages per minute. Note that the anvil_rate_time_unit setting is also used to control other timeouts. The postfix documentation mentioned that the default value is 60s—I basically only included it for conciseness.

Code
    default_destination_rate_delay = 5s

This puts a 5 second delay between each outbound smtp connnection to the same destination. There are other default_destination parameters that maybe of use to you on the man page......

NOTE:

The resulting behavior depends on the value of the corresponding
    per-destination recipient limit.

The delay is enforced by the queue manager. The delayTtimer state does not survive "postfix reload" or "postfixstop".

Grüße

Rick

• Can I directly edit the file "main.cf.j2" and paste the options obove at the end of the file for testing, or will OMV overwrite my mods?

I installed yesterday "Fail2ban" and see that at the fileld "Dest email" ist the adress "root@localhost" inscribed.

Is it possible to send an E-Mail only within my LAN with postfix and receive it with thunderbird? That would be all I need for now.

I found this: How to setup a Linux LAN local mail? .. so it should be possible

Grüße

Rick

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I directly edit the file "main.cf.j2" and paste the options obove at the end of the file for testing, or will OMV overwrite my mods?

Temporary this can be done, but OMV will override it if there is a need to redeploy the postfix config. Better use the suggestion mentioned here.

I installed yesterday "Fail2ban" and see that at the fileld "Dest email" ist the adress "root@localhost" inscribed.

Is it possible to send an E-Mail only within my LAN with postfix and receive it with thunderbird? That would be all I need for now.

I found this: How to setup a Linux LAN local mail? .. so it should be possible

No, postfix is configured in satelite-mode; it is not possible to request emails from there. You can setup another SMTP email service on your local host and configure OMV to send them there.

• For testing purpose I created a file called "11main_custom.sls" in the directory /srv/salt/omv/deploy/postfix:

Code
    customize_postfix_main:
      file.append:
        - name: "/etc/postfix/main.cf"
        - text: |
            smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 1
            anvil_rate_time_unit = 10m
            default_destination_rate_delay = 10m
            default_destination_recipient_limit = 1

In terminal I tried to execute: sudo omv-salt deploy run postfix but I got an error:

raspberrypi:

Data failed to compile:

----------

Rendering SLS 'base:omv.deploy.postfix.11main_custom' failed: found a tab character where an indentation space is expected

[CRITICAL] Rendering SLS 'base:omv.deploy.postfix.11main_custom' failed: found a tab character where an indentation space is e xpected

Grüße

Rick

• base:omv.deploy.postfix.11main_custom' failed: found a tab character where an indentation space is e xpected

Error says it all.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!