OMV hangs at GRUB after selecting boot kernel

• Today I attempted to install the KVM plugin but it appeared to fail due to some other out of date packages. I refreshed the available updates and installed them (in the UI) and received the "connection lost" error. I refresh my browser using ctrl+shift+R, but still some updates remained. I waited a while and then rebooted the server. However, the web UI would not load. I connected a monitor and found that the system hangs at the "Loading Linux 5.15.131-2-pve" message after the grub menu. Does anybody have suggestions on how to fix the system?

• Did you install the backports Vinny?

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• I believe I may have quite some time ago, but not as part of this recent update process.

KVM will only work with the backports enabled.

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Today I attempted to install the KVM plugin but it appeared to fail due to some other out of date packages. I refreshed the available updates and installed them (in the UI) and received the "connection lost" error. I refresh my browser using ctrl+shift+R, but still some updates remained. I waited a while and then rebooted the server. However, the web UI would not load. I connected a monitor and found that the system hangs at the "Loading Linux 5.15.131-2-pve" message after the grub menu. Does anybody have suggestions on how to fix the system?

Is a debian kernel still installed on your system? Can you get your system to boot after selecting a debian kernel on the GRUB screen?

• Ah OK, well that may explain that issue. My bigger concern now is figuring out how to get my system to boot again.

Can you choose the other kernel on GRUB?

• Is a debian kernel still installed on your system? Can you get your system to boot after selecting a debian kernel on the GRUB screen?

It appears to be, as the kernel is listed (along with memtest and UEFI settings) an an option in the GRUB menu, but I am not sure how to confirm that.

Can you choose the other kernel on GRUB?

The only other kernel available is the recovery version of the same kernel, but selecting it also causes the system to hang the same way. In fact, even trying to launch memtest results in the same issue.

• The only other kernel available is the recovery version of the same kernel, but selecting it also causes the system to hang the same way. In fact, even trying to launch memtest results in the same issue.

No clue than mate sorry. Rye will prob know ryecoaaron

• Is that the correct nvme to boot from?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would put the debian netinst iso on a usb stick and boot from it. Then choose to repair grub.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It appears to be, as the kernel is listed (along with memtest and UEFI settings) an an option in the GRUB menu, but I am not sure how to confirm that.

The only other kernel available is the recovery version of the same kernel, but selecting it also causes the system to hang the same way. In fact, even trying to launch memtest results in the same issue.

No need to get into edit mode in GRUB. Just boot from the debian kernel.

• No need to get into edit mode in GRUB. Just boot from the debian kernel.

It hangs and does nothing when he does that.

• I sure hope so because it's the only nvme drive installed.

Quoting myself... I did move my NVME system drive from one M.2 slot to a different slot a week or two ago, but the system has been booting fine since then, and it is still the only drive installed. I don't think that would affect anything but figured I would mention it.

• I would put the debian netinst iso on a usb stick and boot from it. Then choose to repair grub.

Just did this a couple of times after reading the documentation as it had been a while since I've done any of this. Ultimately, the boot still hangs at the same place.

As a sanity check, here's what I did in the live iso:

Mounted my system partition as root (/dev/nvme0n1p2)

Accepted the prompt to mount the /boot/efi partition

Selected to reinstall GRUB

Entered /dev/nvme0 as the device on which to install GRUB

Rebooted

Is there something I can verify by launching a shell and viewing the bootloader files?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because it was running grub, I would've guessed you only needed to run update-grub.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!