Can i mount and read only ONE of HDDs from my previous RAID1 installation?

• Hi there!

Maybe there is a solution, hope)

I have HP Gen8. Just installed OMV Shaitan on it, but if at previous installation of OMV4 there were 2x2 RAID1 drives, so now i have 1x3 RAID5 and only one free sata-port left.

So is it possible to insert one of the previous RAID1 disks into that last port for making full copy of all the data into new RAID5?

Or maybe temporary remove RAID5, add two RAID1 disks into array and mmmmm some kind of UNRAID them?))

Thanks a lot for answers!

• If by RAID1 you mean a MD Mirror, then in theory one disk of a mirror should be mountable in a "clean, degraded" state.

How are you booting your HP Gen8? There are ways to boot the microserver and use the four HDD slots for data drives.

• In OMV4 there was standart functional in the left menu of web interface, i think, it was MD mirror, yes.

What should i do to mount the disk in a "clean, degraded" state? I can see the disk in the overall list of disks, but "Software RAID" does not see it.(

My boot scheme is to make bootable RAID0 SSD placed instead supposed cd-rom.

• If the disk is listed hopefully its good. Software RAID wont see anything until you either use the recover option in the WebUI or reassemble the RAID1 at the command line. Post a screenshot of what the recover option offers if you're uncertain of how to proceed. Otherwise you need to ssh into OMV and carry out some commands in the terminal.

My boot scheme is to make bootable RAID0 SSD placed instead supposed cd-rom.

This sounds like you're making use for the HP Gen8 Smart Array B120i RAID. You should not be using the B120i RAID in conjunction with OMV software RAID. There are better methods which means changing the BIOS to use AHCI for all drives. Then you can either buy a USB to SATA adapter for your SDD and use it connected to the internal USB header, or with the correct cable use the SSD in the cd-rom area. The second choice means creating a GRUB boot usb stick to actually boot OMV which will be installed on the SDD in the cd-rom area.

• My G8 Microserver has Grub installed on a micro SD Card stored inside the server.

It is booting from there and OMV itself is installed on a SSD connected to the SATA port which was meant to be used for the optical drive.

Was a bit tricky to setup, but that way I can use all 4 drive slots for my storage.

• If the disk is listed hopefully its good. Software RAID wont see anything until you either use the recover option in the WebUI or reassemble the RAID1 at the command line. Post a screenshot of what the recover option offers if you're uncertain of how to proceed. Otherwise you need to ssh into OMV and carry out some commands in the terminal.

I see the RAID1 disk only in "disks" section, in section "Software RAID" there no option Recover, and the RAID1 disk is missing too... But at the moment there is RAID5 creation )

I'm ready to print commands in SSH, you only tell me which ones exactly, please )))

Why is it problem to use Smart Array B120i RAID with software RAID? This solution working for years for me.

• At the CLI, start by identifying your disk and your working RAID5. Please post output of each of the following two commands:

blkid

cat /proc/mdstat

If the solution works for you, stick with it. I guess you have set up each hard as a RAID0 on the B120i.

• Code
    root@omv:~# blkid
    /dev/sde1: UUID="67e746ab-5307-47d5-8b3c-9555bce5286a" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="4bde9e31-01"
    /dev/sde5: UUID="5866da02-4768-46eb-9827-e1e674345ea3" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="4bde9e31-05"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="6b81afde-10af-1ffa-0f92-c359374130a8" UUID_SUB="c7f066d7-6cdc-bde0-a891-781e26893082" LABEL="openmediavault:RAID" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="db60da78-3a3d-54a7-9dce-81c8a747be4b" UUID_SUB="80d59d3f-1372-6c3f-7d5c-6b374d78e888" LABEL="omv:0" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="db60da78-3a3d-54a7-9dce-81c8a747be4b" UUID_SUB="ddbe22c1-b67a-ca99-36d0-047c00ec0cca" LABEL="omv:0" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sda: UUID="db60da78-3a3d-54a7-9dce-81c8a747be4b" UUID_SUB="2c9fe9d1-f7cd-14e5-5eb5-b433a0abcd32" LABEL="omv:0" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
  • drubaduro That's good. The outputs show /dev/sdd is one half of the old RAID1 which OMv6 recognises as part of the inactive raid device /dev/md127.

You should be able to assemble the old RAID1 with this command:

mdadm --verbose --assemble --force /dev/md127 /dev/sdd

• @Krisbee thanks a lot! I gonna try it when damn RAID5 complete! )))

upd: couldn't wait ))

Code
    root@omv:~# mdadm --verbose --assemble --force /dev/md127 /dev/sdd
    mdadm: Unknown keyword INACTIVE-ARRAY
    mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md127
    mdadm: /dev/sdd is busy - skipping

upd2: RAID5 created, but output of these commands the same

• Offizieller Beitrag

stop the array first before the assemble command mdadm --stop /dev/md127

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!