Upgrading my NAS completely

• I have been running OMV 5.x on my NAS for a long while now and it's been amazing. The current specs of my NAS as it pertains to OMV are as follows:

Parity: 2 x 8TB WD Red

Data: 6 x 8 TB WD Red

Raid: SnapRAID with MergeFS

I just got 8 x 18 TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives and want to replace all 8 drives above with these. In addition, I was curious if I should also go the route of upgrading OMV to 7.x now or wait until it is out of RC state and goes gold?

As far as updating the hard drives, I know the best path forward is to copy all data from each drive to the new target drive then replace it in the chassis, reconfigure SnapRAID to see the new drive, etc. What I was wondering is for the 2 parity drives, instead of copying the data could I just take them both out and replace them with the 2 new drives and have the parity recreate on them from the data drives? I realize this is a very noob question, I know enough just to get myself in trouble, that's why I wanted to ask my questions here before doing anything on the server since its running very well right now.

Happy for any thoughts on how I should go about all these upgrades (I am by no means a Debian expert either so I will do my best to understand any information shared).

One last thing, if anyone has any ideas about what is happening, I did try and set one of the new drives up in a USB Sata Dock to start copying one of the drives to it, but the OS shows only 380GB of the 18TB of the drive when running lsblk, and I have no idea how to get it to see all the space. Any thoughts are welcome. Original forum post here: RE: New hard drive not showing correct size

• hi
    For me clearly it's preferable to copy from external USB to your env you've prepared and going step by step...
    Only if you have saves and permit you to "play" or "try", in my side I prefer always to secure.
    Of course it will take time ;)
    Remember that RAID will never replace saves...

• hi
    For me clearly it's preferable to copy from external USB to your env you've prepared and going step by step...
    Only if you have saves and permit you to "play" or "try", in my side I prefer always to secure.
    Of course it will take time ;)
    Remember that RAID will never replace saves...

Thanks for the input. Do you know if there an ETA for OMV 7.x golive? Is there an upgrade path from 5 - 7?

• I'm not aware about a final release date... ask for the moderators. I've not see anything about that.
    No direct upgrade to go directly from 5 to 7.
    Migrate first in 6 next 6 to 7 exists too.
    Currently i'm on 7RC1 it's stable. (i shouldn't say that) lol

• At this point I'd probably wait until 7 is final and then do a fresh install of that.

You could insert a new drive and recreate parity on it. My preference would be to copy the parity to the new drive and then replace the drive in the array. Either way should work but I think copying parity would be faster and result in less wear and tear on the drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!