[Fixed] SMB inconsistent write speed

• Hello

I noticed that on my system, transfers always have the same problem :

image-2024-01-27-22-04-31.png

after investigation i found the origin and it is the default configuration of samba in OMV

min receivefile size = 16384

after removing it or setting it to zero :

image-2024-01-28-11-42-37.png

min receivefile size

This option changes the behavior of Samba when processing SMBwriteX calls. Any incoming SMBwriteX call on a non-signed SMB/CIFS connection greater than this value will not be processed in the normal way but will be passed to any underlying kernel recvfile or splice system call (if there is no such call Samba will emulate in user space). This allows zero-copy writes directly from network socket buffers into the filesystem buffer cache, if available. It may improve performance but user testing is recommended. If set to zero Samba processes SMBwriteX calls in the normal way. To enable POSIX large write support (SMB/CIFS writes up to 16Mb) this option must be nonzero. The maximum value is 128k. Values greater than 128k will be silently set to 128k.

I'm not an expert and this solution isn't universal, but I hope it will be useful to others.

My settings :

Version 6.4.4-1 (Shaitan)

Device Odroid HC4

Processeur ARMv8 Processor rev 0 (v8l)

Noyau Linux 6.1.11-meson64

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • This is timely! I noticed the same thing and am playing around with your suggestion and trying different settings. I assume the behavior might change depending on the file sizes that are being moved. I wonder if any tool exists to analyze SMB movement and suggest optimal settings.

7.0.5-1 (Sandworm)

Processor Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.5

Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-v8

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!