Backup NAS

• I have a NAS with several hard disks. My backups are stored multiple times. In the same NAS on another hard disk, every few months on external hard disks and my most important data encrypted on Google Drive.

Since I have a motherboard, power supply, RAM and case left over, I'm thinking about building a second NAS.

I would like to sync my data to this every day.

However, I would like to secure the system and am looking for ideas here.

How would you set up the backup system or how would you sync the data to protect yourself from:

-virus attacks

-Ramsonware

-Data being deleted en masse on the source system

-etc

Thanks

Vuke

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take a look at the -> remotemount plugin doc. And while this document was written for OMV5 -> (Creating a Backup Server), it's still applicable to OMV6.

I have two backup servers. One of them is "cold" (meaning it's usually off). This is the best possible protection in that, if the machine is off, it can't be hacked, infected, etc. I set up rsync replication events to replicate my network shares, then at midnight, there's a scheduled task to shut the server down. All I have to do is power it up in the morning, once every month or two, let it run all day (during that time it's running schedule replications of changes to shares) and it shuts off at midnight.

If something happens to the main server, I can power it up, disable the midnight shut down, turn on the SMB/CIF service and the backup's shares are on the network.

On the other hand, you can have a hot standby server that's configured the same way, that is on all the time and replicating everyday.

My protection from ransomeware, virus attacks, bit-rot, etc., is using ZFS with automated Snapshots on data storage disks. This -> doc , and it's reference links, may give you an idea of the benefits of snapshots.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!