Boots on laptop but not PC

• I have used OMV on a variety of machines and always run if from USB. It was running on my HP G2 mini, but as I was having issues with my other PC with dvi I decided to swap, but now I want to go back.

So, I make a bootable USB and it is recognised on the HP, I boot from it and I install OMV to the USB i have used previously for OMV on that PC but when I go to boot from it it isn't recognised. However if i take that USB and put it in another PC or laptop it boots happily into OMV.

On my HP G2 I have tried all variations in the BIOS of Legacy ON and OFF, secure ON and OFF and fastboot and the windows boot manager is disabled

Also tried :

different USB drives (same result - they boot in my laptop but not on my OMV)

RUFUS and ETCHER - no difference whatsoever

any suggestions to resolve this gladly received

• This does sound like it's all down to the EFI/BIOS on your HP mini. Most of these devices whether HP, DELL or Lenovo are designed to boot into (pre-loaded) Windows via UEFI with a licence embedded in the firmware. To install and boot linux can be a bit of challenge, maybe this has some pointers: https://www.linuxlinks.com/hp-…-mini-desktop-pc-linux/3/

But I would have thought the HP G2 would boot from "Legacy ON" if OMV was installed in legacy BIOS mode in the first case. Have you tied installing OMV in legacy on a different device first and then try to boot the USB install on HP G2. You may need to re-configure your network settings at the CLI using omv-firstaid.

Otherwise, I'd google for similar hints, you may have to resort to booting a live linux and messing with efibootmanger to fix the EFI firmware entries and boot order before OMV will boot in EFI mode.

• Another potential option is to try installing debian and if that boots then install OMV on top.

So I now have a debian usb stick which was created on my HP but isn't recognised as bootable but works instantly on my lenovo

i've also now installed debian ssh on the HP hard drive just in case it was something to do with the SSD but it's not

Have you tied installing OMV in legacy on a different device first and then try to boot the USB install on HP G2.

No and I am now going to try and work out what witchcraft is needed for such a task :/

• So I now have a debian usb stick which was created on my HP but isn't recognised as bootable but works instantly on my lenovo

i've also now installed debian ssh on the HP hard drive just in case it was something to do with the SSD but it's not

No and I am now going to try and work out what witchcraft is needed for such a task :/

If you don't mind temporarily changing the boot settings on your lenovo machine, set to BIOS legacy/CSM mode. Then use the lenovo to install OMV onto a usb stick ensuring the OMV install boots in non-efi mode. Then test this usb stick on your HP G2 set to boot in BIOS legacy/CSM mode.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!