NFS clients see only one directory in export though there are several

• Greetings!

I am running OMV 6.9.13-1 (Shaitan) and have been having a problem with NFS. So I've been using OMV for a few months now with mostly positive results. I can export data with NFS and access this data with multiple clients. After some time (maybe 3-4 weeks) my client mounts go stale and they lose access to the export. I can usually regain access to the mounts by doing some reboots of the clients and OMV. While all of that is pretty frustrating this is the part that really has me confused:

After weeks of successful use and then working around the stale mounts issue, my clients cannot see all directories in the export. The data is there, verified from the OMV shell, but the clients see only a single directory. There are several directories in the path but clients see only one. I have worked around this in the past with some reboots of OMV or restarting of nfs-server service but today its just not coming around. No mater how much I reboot anything or restart services I just can't get the clients to see all the data. To be clear, it will work for weeks without issues and then all of a sudden they can't see everything.

OMV shell stuff:

Client shell stuff:

As you can see, the data is in that folder frm OMV's perspective but the client can only see one directory. Again, I can get this working for weeks without issue and then boom, stale mounts...and when I get everything mounting again the clients just see one folder. I have tried disabling NFS3 and NFS4, one at a time, to see if that made a difference...it does not. It happens with either protocol.

This is not a production environment but it is pretty darn important to my home users. I'm at a loss here as to what could be the issue. Permissions, at least at the level of those directories, are consistent so I doubt its a permission issue. Disregard the Cohesity stuff...I only care about the media folders.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• And to add some context...

I have quickly deployed a new OMV server (VM) and gave it access to the block device. I updated it, rebooted, mounted the filesystem, created a "Shared Folder" on the same directory and defined an export. Everything is working with this new instance of OMV.

It would be interesting to figure out why this problem is happening.

• You use OMV and you are creating all these exports-mounts by your own?

This is my fstab and I miss the added openmediavault-part between ">>> [openmediavault]" and "<< [openmediavault]" in your fstab

• No, I have not created anything on my own (by hand). I have used the OMV UI for everything that is relevant to my post. I also have not posted my fstab. The screenshot shows the contents of my /etc/exports file and not fstab. Thanks.

• I have to apologize, I must have had a lot of sleep in my eyes this morning.

What you can mount with nfs is not in the folder /srv...... but in the folder /export, please show us that.

Code
    ls -ls /export

And that's all text, it's so much easier to copy text back and forth with the mouse than to look at screenshots.

• But it would be the same contents. The block device is mounted in /srv by fstab and the /srv/xxxxx/subvolumename is referenced as /export/subvolumename in fstab as well. These are all just front-end references to the same blocks so I cannot see how /srv/etc... would show the data but then the subvolume mount would not.

And I'm afraid that instance of the system is not up at the moment. I am still using the stand-in deployment of OMV since it worked. For reference, I'll post the working system's relevant lines in fstab below. This shows how the block device and subvolume are mounted on this working system and how it looked on the broken system:

Code
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/d735ac41-b1e8-4326-aa0c-66487f5bc16c        /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-d735ac41-b1e8-4326-aa0c-66487f5bc16c    btrfs    defaults,nofail    0 2
    /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-d735ac41-b1e8-4326-aa0c-66487f5bc16c/media/        /export/media    none    bind,nofail    0 0
    # <<< [openmediavault]
  • Ok, here is the problem system's fstab. I'm not seeing any issues here. Maybe I'm missing it...

And here is a directory listing of the mounted filesystem and the mounted subvolume. Obvious discrepancy here. Not sure what causes this:

• is your system encrypted?

I had made a few attempts with an encrypted data disk. It was always the same, after entering the correct password the folders are under srv... but not in /Export. I always had to help with a

Code
    sudo mount -a 

first, then they were there.

• No, no encryption. And remember, this works on a new OMV VM configured exactly the same way. If we can't track down what's happening here then I plan to use the new VM going forward and just wait to see if this happens again.

TL;DR for anyone joining in at this phase: My thoughts are that there may be something going on with btrfs and the subvolume function; perhaps not an NFS issue at all then. The FS mounts fine and all data is visible, but the subvolume mount obscures only some of the directories in the subvolume. Very strange indeed. Anyway, since it is maybe not an issue with NFS I may find a better place to post this question where some BTRFS gurus' eyes may find this.

• Just an update... The new VM has worked flawlessly since I started using it. I will not be going back to the old one to try and resolve the issue. While I enjoy fixing things, it isn't worth the downtime to me at this time.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!