Seemingly cannot update and upgrade anymore due to repository having no release file (OMV6 on Armbian on Odroid HC1)

• checking the repos lists

Here you go:

Maybe re-run the install script

Had the same idea too first. But I think the omv-release-upgrade script has failed in a way, where the destruction was persisted already (package removal), and I'm not sure whether there are "remainders" which would ensure to re-install the packages, and also not sure whether my config deviations were not deleted along the way. And: Sorry for my vague words like "remainders". In 2020-2021 I dealt with OMV intensively, and roughly knew its architecture and principles, but meanwhile just a fainted memory, and my overall assessment may be true, but I don't have the concrete terminology to back up my suspicions. But I hope you get my idea.

Odroid HC2 - Armbian 24 Bookworm - OMV7

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von porg ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would restore from backup.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Restore OMV 6.x to SD from backup. Ok.

But from then? How do I get to OMV 7.x properly?

1) Run omv-release-upgrade with "fingers crossed", hoping that it "doesn't choke merely on a HTTP 502 along the way" ? (You have not reacted at all to my worry, whether it has proper fallback mechanisms, which abort cleanly!)

2) omv-regen backup. Then a fresh omv 7 install. omv-regen regenera.

But omv-regen restores only GUI configs. I did some CLI customizations too: I run some services like iperf3, aria2, I installed audio drivers (not installed on headless SBC normally) so that I can drive USB Audio with shairport-sync. All these tweaks were quite some work. I would need to redo all this again. No memory/notes anymore…

Hence I had hoped for omv-release-upgrade, which worked not too great in the past, to finally work when upgrading from v6 → v7.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But from then? How do I get to OMV 7.x properly?

I have done this upgrade probably over a hundred times and haven't hit all the issue you have. I'm sure I would have no problem upgrading you system but I don't have the time or patience to go back and forth for your system. The 6 to 7 is one of the best upgrades in a long time. Your armbian mirror being down doesn't help. I would comment out the armbian repo and try the upgrade.

I did some CLI customizations too: I run some services like iperf3, aria2, I installed audio drivers (not installed on headless SBC normally) so that I can drive USB Audio with shairport-sync. All these tweaks were quite some work. I would need to redo all this again. No memory/notes anymore…

These could be contributing to the upgrade failure too. I wrote an iperf3 plugin for OMV 7. I would run aria2 in docker. If your usb audio doesn't have drivers built in to the kernel, I would pick a different one.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• I read https://docs.armbian.com/User-…g/#choosing-an-apt-mirror

• If I query the endpoint https://apt.armbian.com/mirrors and pick any of the returned mirrors, e.g. https://xogium.performanceservers.nl/apt/ then in all their respective /dists/ directory there is never ever a "bullseye". It seems to have been purged from this earth without trace. (Maybe this is something normal in a distro lifecycle, I was just not aware of it).
    • So the Armbian folks "pulled this beyond their users asses" and all automatic update mechanisms seem to fail then, manual intervention becomes necessary.

tordenflesk reported problems after upgrading OpenMediaVault from 6 to 7 on my Odroid XU4 — symptoms being: apt bookworm upgrade Hash Sum mismatch.

And Armbian Odroid XU4 maintainer joekhoobyar mentions Upgrading Armbian from bullseye to bookworm — Is this my root cause?

• Offizieller Beitrag

f I query the endpoint https://apt.armbian.com/mirrors and pick any of the returned mirrors, e.g. https://xogium.performanceservers.nl/apt/ then in all their respective /dists/ directory there is never ever a "bullseye". It seems to have been purged from this earth without trace. (Maybe this is something normal in a distro lifecycle, I was just not aware of it).
    So the Armbian folks "pulled this beyond their users asses" and all automatic update mechanisms seem to fail then, manual intervention becomes necessary.

The files are still here - https://imola.armbian.com/apt/dists/ - but you don't need them. I told you what I would try next in my last post. Did you try it?

• 1) You told me: Comment out the armbian repo and try the upgrade.

2) You also told me: My modifications outside of the GUI may made the upgrade fail. Which likely would make #1 fail again. And gave me some good recommendations how to achieve my mods in a more standardized/portable manner in the future (thanks!).

3) You showed me that mirror https://imola.armbian.com/apt/dists/ still has the bullseye stuff. So with this I could achieve a properly updated OMV6. Which to me seems the first logical step in an incremental update approach.

4) Only on 2024-03-01 the Armbian Odroid XU4 maintainer joekhoobyar posted the instruction Upgrading Armbian from bullseye to bookworm.

So as a OMV layman it's not so clear to me what to try next, now with my OMV6 restored. I'd try #3 or #4 first, and #1 only last. Advice appreciated!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von porg ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try 1.

You cannot upgrade armbian first. They need to be upgraded at the same time. So 4 is not an option I would try unless all else failed.

• Performed omv release upgrade

In /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list I commented its single line as ryecoaaron instructed.

Then as recommended prior running a omv-release-upgrade I did this:

• sudo omv-upgraderan fine (saved log)
    • sudo omv-salt stage run deploy ran seemingly ok (no errors shown, saved log)
    • sudo omv-release-upgrade ran overnight, and in the morning (due to the last interactive bluescreen info-dialogs / prompts: "RAID not part of core anymore", "The upgrade has completed successfully. Please reboot the system. OK", btw is their also an --unattended mode for omv-release-upgrade for the next time?)
    • 👉 sudo reboot now to complete it

Rebooted fine

• These features worked fine at first sight:
      • SSH login, Web UI (Workbench), Plex Docker container, Samba
    • Good enough!
      • Ran a backup: OMV7 → System → Backup → Settings → With method "fsarchiver" and my usual destination (on the HDD, which itself gets backed up with USB Backup)
      • I clicked "Backup" to have this long overnight OMV7 upgrade persisted, should I need to go back in the coming days.
    • Noticed one thing not working after the upgrade, but could fix it quite easily:
      • Shairport-Sync
        • Only a slight version bump v3.3.87 --> v3.3.8 🙁
        • OMV Maintainer: Could you please consider upgrading shairport-Sync to v4.1+ to get Airplay 2 support ?
          • From my Mac via Airplay 1 I could stream audio to the Odroid, and the UI showed playback as working normal, but I heard nothing.
          • The underlying audio stack did not work anymore!
      • My connected USB Audio speakers did not work anymore.
        • Recalled: Hadn't needed any driver, as it is standard USB Audio, just a config file change.
        • Luckily in my bash history I found references to cat /proc/asound/cards and pico /etc/asound.conf and alsa-info and speaker-test. Fixed the situation with the following actions:
        • $ cat /proc/asound/cards
          0 [AUDIO ]: USB-Audio - USB AUDIO USB AUDIO at usb-12120000.usb-1, full speed
        • $ pico /etc/asound.confhad references to audio device nr 1. Nr 0 was a failed bluetooth audio installation attempt AFAIR still from OMV5, whose remainders now seem to have been cleaned with this omv-release-upgrade to OMV7. I simply needed to point to audio device nr 0 in both lines, like this:
          • defaults.pcm.card 0
          • defaults.ctl.card 0
        • $ speaker-test --test sine --frequency 80played sound audibly on the USB speakers. Fine.
        • ❌ Tried Airplay playback again. Nothing audible.
        • ℹ️ $ sudo reboot now — I think restarting shairport-sync would have sufficed, but in the Web GUI with — OMV → Services → Shairport: Toggle Enabled OFF, then apply, then ON, then APPLY — this is slower than a whole system reboot 😉
        • ✅ Tried Airplay playback again: Audio plays fine.

Now how do I get Armbian upgraded correctly?

• Note my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list has its single line still commented like this:
      # deb http://apt.armbian.com bookworm main bookworm-utils bookworm-desktop
      • Interestingly already with the bookworm reference instead of bullseye
      • Did the upgrade perform some find and replace, even in commented lines. Seems so. I do not recall having changed that myself. But who knows. Working overnight you tend to do thing only half aware sometimes.
    • I would now do this:
      • Simply uncomment and then run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade
      • Then again run armbian-config and apply the device specific optimizations.
        • I hope this does not "destroy anything" and works compatible with OMV7 then.

• I think I successfully upgraded Armbian too and got rid of warnings/notes

1. $ sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/fix6to7upgrade | sudo bash
    2. It seems that it also restored /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list which now contains:
      deb http://apt.armbian.com bookworm main bookworm-utils
    3. 9 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
      W: http://apt.armbian.com/dists/bookworm/InRelease: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
      N: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' value from 'non-free' to 'non-free non-free-firmware'
      N: More information about this can be found online in the Release notes at: https://www.debian.org/release…ation.html#non-free-split

sudo apt list --upgradable

armbian-bsp-cli-odroidxu4-current/bookworm 24.2.1 armhf [upgradable from: 23.8.1] armbian-config/bookworm,bookworm 24.2.1 all [upgradable from: 23.8.3] armbian-firmware/bookworm,bookworm 24.2.1 all [upgradable from: 23.8.3] armbian-zsh/bookworm,bookworm 24.2.1 all [upgradable from: 23.8.3] base-files/bookworm 24.2.1-12.4+deb12u5-bookworm armhf [upgradable from: 23.8.1-bullseye] containerd.io/bookworm 1.6.28-1 armhf [upgradable from: 1.6.28-1] linux-dtb-current-odroidxu4/bookworm 24.2.1 armhf [upgradable from: 23.8.1] linux-image-current-odroidxu4/bookworm 24.2.1 armhf [upgradable from: 23.8.1] linux-u-boot-odroidxu4-current/bookworm 24.2.1 armhf [upgradable from: 23.8.1]
    4. Fixed the Note as instructed in https://www.debian.org/release…ation.html#non-free-split
    5. Fixed the Warning as instructed in https://forum.armbian.com/topi…from-bullseye-to-bookworm

## 1a) First fetch and install the new key
      sudo wget https://apt.armbian.com/armbian.key -O key sudo gpg --dearmor < key | sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg > /dev/null sudo chmod go+r /usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg

## 1b) /etc/apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list gets that key added by getting changed to this:
      deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/armbian.gpg] http://apt.armbian.com bookworm main bookworm-utils bookworm-desktop

## 1c) omv-release-upgrade or fix6to7upgrade had all instances of "bullseye" already replaced with "bookworm" in:
      ### /etc/apt/sources.list
      ### /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list -- Printed with: find /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ -type f -print | sort | xargs -I {} sh -c 'echo "{}:"; cat "{}"'

## 3) Backed up /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and later confirmed it remained untouched.
    6. $ sudo apt upgrade went fine.
    7. Rebooted: OS stayed the same: Armbian 24.2.1 Bookworm, Kernel: Linux 5.4.253-current-odroidxu4 changed to Linux 6.1.79-current-odroidxu4
    8. $ sudo armbian-config → System → DTB Select optimized board configuration → Odroid HC1/HC2 → Reboot now.
    9. $ sudo apt update → All packages are up to date.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would say the upgrade went fine.

• From a support case perspective: Thanks! Cool then! We can close it as SOLVED.

From a QA perspective: omv-release-upgrade should somehow foresee the possibility that a armbian.list (or similar) with an unreachable repo can lead to a destrictive outcome. And check early on and abort, before going in too deep to go back. If that approach is possible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-release-upgrade should somehow foresee the possibility that a armbian.list (or similar) with an unreachable repo can lead to a destrictive outcome. And check early on and abort, before going in too deep to go back. If that approach is possible.

This would be very difficult. Sure, it is possible to do this with the armbian repo but it would not be possible with a bad debian or omv repo. I don't think OMV's upgrade code should handle a bad armbian repo specifically. I have been using Ubuntu's do-release-upgrade for years on hundreds of machines and even it has left systems in a state where it required me to finish the upgrade manually. Both omv-release-upgrade and omv-upgrade exit with an error as soon as one is returned. I'm not sure what else should be done if they aren't returning an error.

• Thanks for the estimation that this kind of exceptional nuisance is unavoidable in this kind of software scene, and that the script is already at the best possible quality level in that context.

I set this thread as solved. Thanks!

• porg

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • porg

Hat das Label Upgrade 6.x -> 7.x hinzugefügt.
  • Hi porg so actually to update an Odroid HC2 to OMV7 we should follows the steps you did in your posts 29 and 30?

The steps can be followed directly or something can be avoided because of redundancy with seguent steps maybe? Any advice?

Thanks!

• Yes post #29 - #30 contains all the necessary steps to update from OMV6 to OMV7 on Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2

• You likely not need the alsa/audio fixing I needed.
    • And be sure that the armbian repo is commented during the initial omv-release-upgrade and later when you have reached OMV7 and then also want the armbian part to upgrade that the armbian repo line is uncommented again (if not achieved by the fix6to7upgrade script, then you may need to do that manually)
    • Then it should work.
    • A long procedure. But at least shorter for you my fellow Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2 users, sparing yourself that one failed attempt and the restoring 😉 — Hope that my example/instructions will help you!

• Yes post #29 - #30 contains all the necessary steps to update from OMV6 to OMV7 on Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2

• You likely not need the alsa/audio fixing I needed.
    • And be sure that the armbian repo is commented during the initial omv-release-upgrade and later when you have reached OMV7 and then also want the armbian part to upgrade that the armbian repo line is uncommented again (if not achieved by the fix6to7upgrade script, then you may need to do that manually)
    • Then it should work.
    • A long procedure. But at least shorter for you my fellow Odroid XU4/HC1/HC2 users, sparing yourself that one failed attempt and the restoring 😉 — Hope that my example/instructions will help you!

Looks like it worked, thank you!

Only thing is that when i connect in ssh to the board i see as in attached image. That No end-user support: unsupported (buster) userspace! is normal?

• Strange on your welcome screen:

• You have the same version number 24.2.1 as I have, but strangely your have "Buster" (Debian 10) which was before "Bullseye" (Debian 11) which was before Bookworm (Debian 12, current stable).
    • Hence I can understand why it says "No end user support".
    • So I'm not certain that you are really on OMV7 with the respective current Armbian too.
      • But I'm a OMV hobbyist at best, not expert. Wait what other say.

My welcome screen for comparison:

___      _           _     _   _   _  ____ _

/ _ \  __| |_ __ ___ (_) __| | | | | |/ ___/ |

| | | |/ _` | '__/ _ \| |/ _` | | |_| | |   | |

| |_| | (_| | | | (_) | | (_| | |  _  | |___| |

\___/ \__,_|_|  \___/|_|\__,_| |_| |_|\____|_|

Welcome to Armbian 24.2.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.79-current-odroidxu4

System load: 2% Up time: 8:14

Memory usage: 13% of 1.94G IP: redacted

CPU temp: 46°C Usage of /: 6% of 58G

RX today: 4.4 GiB  

[ General system configuration (beta): armbian-config ]

Last login: Tue Mar 5 19:00:00 2024 from 192.xxx.y.zz

• FYI: On the Armbian forums it seems to be consensus meanwhile that:

Zitat

I was observing similar issues on four systems, two Odroid HC1 and two Odroid MC1, all running Armbian Odroid XU4 image.

[…]

My assessment is that one more more mirrors were probably broken for a few days, and just got fixed.

Which further down got confirmed by @igor (user ID nr° 1 = maintainer/manager):

Zitat

We (I think) hopefully fixed the problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!