Samba from source breaks users/sharing

• I installed OMV6, had a bunch of shares up and running and wanted to attempt getting SMB multichannel running.... I built/installed Samba from source, gave 10GB cards in my Mint box and OMV static IPs, added server multi channel support = yes to extra settings, connected to 10GB switch and everything was flying at 2x... I shut everything down so I could rearrange the desk and on power on nothing was working.

Whats worse is I can't even get close to replicating it: on a fresh installs of both OMV6 and OMV7 basic shares work (no ACL just user/pass) but installing updated samba breaks shares. I can see the share but it does not accept credentials.

everything looks good in /etc/samba/smb.conf after upgrade ie shares are there, users are listed, changes made in GUI are being written to smb.conf

I've also tired installing samba right after OMV install (no existing shares etc) and no go.

OMV7 ships with a sufficiently new version of samba to do multipath but I could not get it to utilize both connections. smbstatus -v showed both IPs but only one had multiple ports and speed was slow.

FYI for testing I've got an NVME drive in the Mint box and simple 8 wide stripe on SSDs. I'm using

./configure --disable-cups --without-ad-dc --sbindir=/sbin/ --sysconfdir=/etc/samba/ --mandir=/usr/share/man/

during build

Any bright ideas?

2x M1015 / LSi 9220-8i > 2x IBM 46M0997

2x Supermicro X5DPE-G2 3U 16 BAY servers - gutted and only used for backplane/caddies

SuperMicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2
    2x Supermicro PDB-PT825-8824 power distribution
    4x Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ switching power supply

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von sadpanda ()

• Is it really necessary to build SAMBA from source? I've no direct experience of using SMB multichannel but this 3yr old post might offer some hints:

Aus der Community OpenMediaVault auf Reddit: Howto: Use Samba Multi-Channel in OMV to Increase Transfer Speeds
    Entdecke diesen Beitrag und mehr aus der Community OpenMediaVault
    www.reddit.com

I would have thought testing from a windows client first might at least show the right pieces were in place for both software and hardware. As to whether a Linux client could work I have no idea, but i suspect you'd want to use kernel mounts as in mount.cifs rather than virtual mounts in desktop file manager via gvfs or whatever.

PS Maybe this for linux clients: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeN…smb_multichannel_working/

• Yep, seen that a just about everything else on the ol web pertaining.

Up to Samba 4.15 smb multipath was considered experimental, after that it was enabled by default. OMV6 had a far older package so I built from source thinking it would help the issue.

OMV7 is packaged with 4.17.12 so I'll come back to this if I cant get resolution in another thread.

2x M1015 / LSi 9220-8i > 2x IBM 46M0997

2x Supermicro X5DPE-G2 3U 16 BAY servers - gutted and only used for backplane/caddies

SuperMicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2
    2x Supermicro PDB-PT825-8824 power distribution
    4x Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ switching power supply

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!