Why doesn't OMV dashboard render correctly in Safari (MacOS and iOS)?

• Hi folks,

I've been using OMV for years and have been wondering for some time why the dashboard tables don't render consistently in Safari on macOS and iOS. I can see it works fine in Chrome, but Chrome isn't my default browser, so I find myself thinking that the OMV UI is a bit half-baked because it doesn't support all common browsers properly. Screenshots attached.

Are there any things I can do to make Safari render these better? Alternatively, are there any plans to update OMV's web interface to become more compliant with other "non-chrome" browsers?

Cheers,

Ken

• votdev

Hat das Label OMV 7.x hinzugefügt.
  • Hi Ken, hi everyone,

I've also been using OMV for long (mainly OMV6) and found lot of answers on this forum.

But I just come to create an account here to say you're not alone.

I always had exactly the same widgets issue on macOS Safari version 17.2.1 (18617.1.17.11.12, 18617), and I expected OMV7 to fix it...

Strangely, there's absolutely no problem on macOS Firefox version 123.0.1 or even Safari iOS 17.3.1 (iPhone 15 Pro).

As I did many times, the attached screenshots come from a completely clean (started from scratch) Debian and OMV installation.

However, I'm sure that I achieved once the installation without issue (with OMV7 on the given Safari version and Debian 12 Bookworm), but didn't find the root cause or something I did differently.

If the community or someone passing by has an idea of fix, please help. Many thanks in advance,

Nick

Nantes, France

• Thanks Nick and Volker.

Volker, I opened the developer tabs in Safari to try to find out if any observable errors appeared. It only showed:

ResizeObserver loop completed with undelivered notifications.

Not sure if that means anything to you and if it throws light on what might be causing the rendering issue. By the way, this time it's a different panel that isn't drawing correctly - the "Load Average" one.

I've also done a "timeline recording too, (a JSON file) however when zipped it's 1.9MB so I can't upload it for you. If you'd find it useful I'd be happy to email it to you if you want, or upload to a different location.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After doing some research the ResizeObserver seems to be the root cause. Problems might come from:

• Incorrect implementation in the browser
    • Problems in the library that is using the ResizeObserver to track resizing of rendered elements

The problem here is that the issue does not happen on FireFox and Chrome, so it seems like a bug in Safari. ChartJS indeed had some problems with it in the past, but those problems should be fixed since a long time. OMV is using the latest version of ChartJS, so this shouldn't be the problem; additionally there are no probs reported by other users for other browsers.

So the only thing i can suggest at the moment is using a different browser.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!