SMB not working since 1 week (win10)

• Hello everyone,

since 1 week, a cannot acces to my OMV NAS (Raspberry Pi) via SMB with my Win10 desktop PC.

I think it is not a problem with OMV because it works with other devices (Laptop with Win11, Smartphone with Android and iPhone). My network is set to privat network.

When i double click the listed computer (named Raspberrypi-OMV) in "network", the error message "the network i missing or is not started yet" (sorry if i translate the error messages wrong, i get them in german ;)) appears.

When i enter the ip with \\192.168.178.81, i become a different error message:

With cmd, i can ping the device:

Last week, all worked normal. I dont installed anything, but i dont know if some windows updates happend.

What i tried:

- Restart of router and OMV/Pi

- I deleted the saved "Windows login informations" on system controls in windows

- i created a new user in OMV

- i created a new public folder

- updated the network drivers in windows

- deactivated the windows firewall (no other firewall oder anti-virus program is installed)

but nothing seems to work.

Have anyone an idea, how i can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I would start by verifying the Service is enabled and not just installed. :)

Access OMV via a Web Browser.

Go to "Services"->"SMB/CIFS"->"Settings"->Click "enabled".

After that, click on "Services"->"SMB/CIFS"->"Shares"->Click the "+" Symbol and add your shares.

Best of luck!

• Did you try to open any other network share with that Win10 computer? (try to share something on another computer and check if you can access it)

Check the "Windows features" to see if SMB protocol is enabled:

• First of all, thanks for your help!

Did you try to open any other network share with that Win10 computer? (try to share something on another computer and check if you can access it)

Check the "Windows features" to see if SMB protocol is enabled:

I shared a folder with the Win11 Laptop and i can access this with the desktop pc. SMB direct is enebled on the pc:

My apologies. I did not read that part of your post, Bolandil!

vperas brings up a good point. Verify that service on that device.

Which version of SMB is your Pi on?

In the SMB settings i have SMB2 minimum protocol settings:

By chance, I have just noticed the following on my laptop, if that helps: When I click on the "Raspberrypi-OMV" device in the network environment, an error message also appears. If I enter the IP directly via the Explorer \\192.168.178.81, I get back to the NAS. However, this does not work with the desktop pc

• I see that you have SMB1/CIFS enabled on your WIN10 PC, so you can try this:

- go to OMV and in the lower part on "extra options" enter server min protocol=NT1, then save and apply and try to connect.

This is just for a test, remove it later because it's old and not secure as newer protocols.

Also, check the firewall/antivirus settings on your PC (you can disable them for a quick test).

One more thing (that's prone to happening) crossed my mind. If you saved your credentials for the share in windows, remove them from credential manager and restart the PC, then try to connect again.

Try and report back :)

• Hey Vperas,

i tried the server min protocol=NT1, and it works! What does this mean for me?

But i can only access to the next stage on the OMV, when i have to enter the username and password, windows said that "username or password incorrect", but its the correct one as for the other devices. I created a folder with guest permission, and this works fine, but not ne folders with the user login.

Windows Defender Firewall is ok (for in german "Datei und Druckfreigabe SMB Direct") and the credentials entry is empty.

Thanks, this is the first (partial)success :D

• On an other forum, i found this post regarding the security options:

Start, secpol.msc

1660998851073.png

The LAN Manager authentication level on the right should either say "Not defined" or "Only send NTLMv2 replies".

With this option, i can access to the folders!

But how can i fix the problem, that i used the server min protocol=NT1?

• Well it should work for default config on Win10/11 without modifying anything over secpol.msc - so something is off on your PC that has problems connecting.

Now that we now "NT1" option works I would do this:

On OMV

- revert to defaults in SMB settings; remove NT1 line we added, and leave min protocol to SMB2, save/apply

On PC

- revert do defaults for anything you changed in secpol.msc on the PC

- go to "Windows features" and untick both SMB direct and SMB1.0/CIFS

- remove saved credentials in credential manager

- reboot PC

- again open "Windows features" and select *ONLY* SMB direct like in the picture I posted before

- reboot again and try

If you still have problems, open command prompt (run as admin) and run sfc /scannow and let it finish - do not close the window until it finishes. Restart and try again.

Cheers!

• Ok i tried your steps.

1. I removed the NT1 line and leave the min prototcol to SMB2 --> Still running

2. I untick SMB Direct and SMB1.0, remove credentials, restart, activate SMB direct, restart --> not running

3. I tried the sgc/scannow, it said to me "Windows Resource Protection has found and successfully repaired corrupted files.", restart --> not running (i saved the log file, but it is soooo big, i dont know where to look :D )

4. I activated SMB1.0 in the windows features again --> running

I dont understand why i need the SMB1.0 feature in windows if the omv set the minimum requiered standard to SMB2? Very confusing...

By the way, in the secpol options, the default value was "send LM- and NTLM-answers (use NTLMv2-Security", with this it wont let me login with my password. Only if i change it to "Only send NTLMv2 replies" it works

• Hmmm, something is off and I cant pinpoint the problem.

When you connect to the OMV share, open the PowerShell in windows (run as administrator)

write Get-SmbConnection and hit enter to see what version of SMB the PC is using (under "dialect")

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!