Docker service doesn't start anymore after restoring backup

• Hi,

OMV6 / Bullseye on Odroid HC4 - restored from a ddfull backup on sdcard 64GB. Looks fine, access from cli and web GUI but the docker is unresponsive.

Until today when I stopped the containers it was working ok, I did it for upgrade to OMV7 (failed attempt). Tried to clean the apt, reinstall the docker, the compose plugin - no luck. Is there any workaround? Bad day for updates on OMV >(

• ryecoaaron - is something broken with the compose addon? I cannot start the containerd service, cannot reinstall docker. Cannot change the storage destination. I restored old backups and updated the docker but its useless. I cant start the containers, cannot see anymore images.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is something broken with the compose addon?

Why the tag? There are plenty of people on the forum that can help with this.

The plugin for OMV 6.x hasn't been changed in four months. And all it does is make sure docker is installed. It wouldn't have anything to do with containerd not starting.

I cannot start the containerd service, cannot reinstall docker. Cannot change the storage destination. I restored old backups and updated the docker but its useless. I cant start the containers, cannot see anymore images.

I would apt-get remove openmediavault-compse and apt-get purge docker-ce containerd.io. then reboot and reinstall the plugin. Removing the plugin won't delete the database (purging will). If you are using an SD card, it might be starting to fail.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry for the tag, didn’t assume it will do noise. Ok, I will try those commands and see if its a change.

Yes, I am using and sd card but its an SanDisk micro SD Max Endurance Video 64 GB, Class 10 supposed to last more (3 and half years at least/30k hours :( ) - but I removed the swap partition and used the flash memory plugin since the day one. Oh, well - maybe its time to replace it.

Thank you very much for help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wasn't saying the SD card is failing. Just something to look at.

• Ok, tried the workaround you provided - no luck - 504 error, cannot reinstall docker.

Starting to believe the sd card its finished :rolleyes:

Last try, I will reinstall the backup on the emergency card I have (same thing, not used) and after that I will go on fresh install OMV 7 bare metal.

• Tried with a spare card, same capacity, same type, same brand - same thing - cannot reinstall docker - same verbose. I will try to rebuild Debian 12/OMV7 from scratch, atm it seems I cannot upgrade from 6 to 7 or use compose-plugin.

Code
    ID: docker
        Function: service.running
          Result: False
         Comment: Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
                  See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
         Started: 22:02:48.214198
        Duration: 43977.316 ms
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If you have backups, you might as well try to:

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/docker /var/lib/containerd

This does assume you didn't change the docker storage path on the Settings tab.

• If you have backups, you might as well try to:

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/docker /var/lib/containerd

This does assume you didn't change the docker storage path on the Settings tab.

Got this when I tried to reinstall the compose plugin

Code
    Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:172 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call() #1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle() #2 {main}

But the

Code
     apt-get remove openmediavault-compose && apt-get purge docker-ce containerd.io && rm -rf /var/lib/docker /var/lib/containerd 

did the trick -back to OMV6, docker is up - all fine!

Many thanks for your help, Aaron! Sorry again for the tagging.

I will stay for now on OMV6 and try to install OMV7 from scratch.

• Offizieller Beitrag

will stay for now on OMV6 and try to install OMV7 from scratch.

Once you have it working on OMV 6, you should upgrade to omv7.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried but got stuck in some wierd things related to php and the GUI access - tried many workarounds but no chance

Have you tried since you got docker working?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, didn’t have the spirit to (and time). But since I got the workaround I will byte the bullet.

Not saying you have to. A fresh install is always better in my opinion. Just my curiosity wondering if it would work now.

• Not saying you have to. A fresh install is always better in my opinion. Just my curiosity wondering if it would work now.

Tried, but same issues with 502 when trying to access the GUI. Same php stuff? Should I run the fix scripts?

Edit: did Soma's workarounds and the attached logs are all green now but now I got error 200 -ok and still cannot go to UI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have the output of the upgrade?

• How to get it? Is this ?

• I cannot do this - I see the plugins, I have access to ssh server, but no chance for gui. I think there are errors for nginx and phpfm - :(

Tried the workarounds with fix6to7, apt fix broken install salt nginx/phpm etc no luck seting up php-common its crashing the server and system reboots.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That output tells me that every omv package is partially installed. What is the output of: sudo apt-get -f install

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!