Trying to mount a drive from previous OMV machine

• So, a bit complicated of a situation -

I have an old desktop I've been running OMV5 on since 2021, everything is configured and is great, other than the machine itself is rather crusty these days and not able to handle much more. I had a boot drive in it, and a 4 tb Ironwolf data drive formatted with ext4 (no raid or anything, just the single drive). I got a micro PC that was being decommed from work that is much more powerful, but with the downside that it will not fit a 3.5 inch drive in it. So, I got myself a USB 3.0 enclosure, since I have a USB port on here that supports up to 10Gbps speeds. Not ideal, I know, but I would think would still be fine.

So tonight, I powered down the old machine, pulled the drive, popped it in the enclosure, and plugged it into the new machine. The other major difference is, the new machine I have running Proxmox and then OMV7 in a VM, but I passed through the USB device and OMV sees the drive, no issues.

So, the issue I'm running into is - I don't want to have to buy another drive, put this one back in the old machine, and migrate everything. I want to be able to mount the existing ext4 filesystem on the drive, and if I do it manually in the console window of Proxmox/over SSH, I can navigate and see all my files, just as I left them. The issue is, OMV sees the drive but does not give me the option to mount the file system - there is nothing in the dropdown. I tried manually mounting the drive to /srv/dev-by-uuid-1db10eed-f43e-41ca-ad0e-9f4e164bfc77 (found UUID by doing lsblk -f), adding it to the fstab file, and rebooting. The drive remained mounted where I left it as expected, but still does not show in the GUI as an option in the dropdown to mount an existing filesystem.

Is there a way I can do this? I haven't seen anyone trying to do this that it wasn't picked up that wasn't because of some sort of broken software RAID. I would think this would be simpler, but maybe not? Is this even possible? Hopefully someone here can help!

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

In the bottom line, OMV should be able to mount a previously formatted drive "if" it's a Linux native filesystem and the drive is healthy. I do this every time I upgrade OMV versions. I rebuild from scratch. In your case, since you're using proxmox and an unknown USB enclosure, more factors are involved.

The issue might be related to how proxmox is configured (I can't help you there). You might consider plugging a thumbdrive into the old machine, formatting it to EXT4, then popping it into the new rig to see if you can mount it. If you can't, your proxmox settings might need another look. If you can mount it, the enclosure might need a second look.

An alternative to what you're attempting to do:
    You might consider running OMV on bare metal and using OMV's KVM plugin for virtualization.

• So, I hadn't had time this week to try anything, but before ditching Proxmox entirely, I decided to try plugging the drive in, setting up a new VM, adding the drive to the VM before installing OMV, and just start over. When I got into the web GUI, it allowed me to mount as expected!

Thanks for the help! I hadn't considered a reinstall, bare metal or not, and fortunately looks like I can continue now with my original plan.

• Arklelinuke

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!