OMV can't boot, RAID problems after install

• Hello everyone.

I have two problems with my NAS. Few days ago OMV doesn't respond. I can't log in admin panel and shares doesn't respond. I connect by SSH and try to use omv-firstaid but he didn't respond. So I thinked that system is collapsed. I prepare new installation and it stand up and works ok.

But when I try to import zpool, omv gives an error. The pool is degraded. It use 6 discs, 4TB each, and one of them was burn. I check it and he died.

The question is how can I recover it? The pool exist but I can't import it and recover. Can I import it without data form collapsed HDD??

Anyone can help me?

• chente

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • ZENiTH So what is the error if you use  zpool import Macierz or does that command actually import the pool? You've only lost one drive so far, your pool should import and the status will be degraded. But you will loose the pool is a second hard drive is faulted.

• Hi Krisbee. Thanks for respond.

Well I try this command. But OMV respond:  cannot import 'Macierz': pool was previously in use from another system. Last accessed by NASServer (hostid=e096ec2) at Fri Mar 1 22:53:41 2024 The pool can be imported, use 'zpool import -f' to import the pool.

So I add -f and the result is: cannot import 'Macierz': insufficient replicas Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source.

• Ok, I wasn't clear on the last command you had used. The man pages at https://openzfs.github.io/open…ter/8/zpool-import.8.html

show there are numerous possible import options. The error indicates your pool has been damaged in some way during whatever system failure occurred. The import option "-F" can be used as "Recovery mode for a non-importable pool". It may not work on it's own, but best to try this first.

zpool import -F  Macierz

• I use zpool import -fF Macierz because without f there is warning about importing from another ZFS system.

Result: cannot import 'Macierz': I/O error Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source.

• Ok, you're right. The next command is really a last resort and you may not be able to recover you damaged zfs pool. Do you have backups of all the data on your pool?

You must understand you proceed at your own risk and I'm not responsible for any data or other losses you may incur by using the following command:

zpool import -FfmX Macierz

• No, I don't have any backup of my pool.

I wonder about connect all disks to Windows machine and try to recover using software like Hetman RAID Recovery.

If it's possible to do that after I use zpool import -FfmX Macierz command?? What do You think?

• I've no experience of using Hetman RAID Recover, but I would use it before executing a zpool imprt -Ffmx ... Good luck with that.

Unfortunately you've learnt the lesson that you need backups. If you end up having to create a new pool at some stage, six drives in zfs RAIDZ2 is a safer pool layout.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!