Print server

• I am attempting to install a shared printer on my home network. The printer is connected via USB to the box running OMV.

So far the farthest I have gotten is:

1. running CUPS in a docker container, but it must be a cups image that contains my Canon print driver which is not in the more common CUPS images. The printer will not print if the incorrect printer make/model is selected in the CUPS web interface, so I have tried many docker images

2. connecting to it via port 631 in the browser

3. adding my USB printer to CUPS from USB in the web interface

4. and finally installing the printer on a different Windows machine via http like: http://192.168.0.3:631/printers/my_printer_name

The docker compose file is:

Windows can print, but the output is always XML describing the print job. I get the same output regardless of docker image so long as the image features my printer make/model in the CUPS new printer list. Printing a test page from the CUPS web interface successfully produces a greyscale Debian test page though.

I have also tried installing and running CUPS locally to OMV in the hope of running as a SMB share. As far as I got with this approach:

1. installed and configured CUPS via apt

2. add the following lines to the 'Extra options' field of SMB settings:

3. Added these lines to `/ect/default/openmediavault`:

Code
    OMV_SAMBA_LOADPRINTERS="yes"
    OMV_SAMBA_PRINTING="CUPS"
    OMV_SAMBA_PRINTCAPNAME="CUPS"
    OMV_SAMBA_DISABLESPOOLSS="no"

The problem with the SMB share approach is that I could not figure out how to add the printer as a share. Everything else seemed to work without defects or conflict, but there is never a means to add a printer as a share. There only seemed to be options to share file system segments already defined as shares on a file system.

Please help point me in the proper direction.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Bump. I am still having this issue. Just looking for guidance on next troubleshooting steps to get a network printer working from OMV.

In my previous Linux OS I just added the printer as a SMB share so that the Windows machines could see the shared device on the network, but those Windows machines otherwise did everything from a driver and print queue perspective. I do not even remember if I was using CUPS. I was certainly not using the CUPS web interface or other form of CUPS administration.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!