Errors(?) running OS from USB attached SSD

• Kindly asking you advice on the matter below:

Fresh install of OMV 7.x. The system disk is an SSD connected to an USB port (to avoid blocking one SATA port inside).

The system runs without problems however I see these messages when I connect a monitor to the machine.

Initially, the SSD was connected with an adaptor which did not support reading of the SMART information. After I replaced the cable adapter with an enclosure SMART info was visible in the GUI but also these messaged started to appear.

I could not find much information hence asking for help.

">

I am sharing below information about the USBs

Could it be the HDD enclosure causing this? Shall I replace it?

Thank you

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Could it be the HDD enclosure causing this? Shall I replace it?

There are common issues with USB to SATA bridges. Not passing SMART data is one of them. UAS ( -> USB Attached SCSI) implementations, in your case, appears to be another one.

If you search the forum, you'd find that Jmicron USB adapters have odd issues. Unfortunately, selecting another manufacture may not be better. Since OEM's can (and do) change components and spec's in their USB drive enclosures, without notice, you might find that you're in the same position with a new enclosure.

While there may be other options, depending on your preference, there appears to be two usable paths:

- If your current setup is working and you're getting SMART data, I believe it's safe to ignore the UAS messages.
    - You could skip using drive enclosures and boot from a good quality thumbdrive. In that case, you'd be able to clone the thumbdrive for easy -> OS backup. USB thumbdrives don't use SMART data but, with a standby thumbdrive, it would be a matter of a few minutes to replace a suspected bad USB drive.

• crashtest thank you for the detailed response.

Yes the SMART information I have seems to be fine and no other issues I've found so far.
    I have a few enclosures and will also give them a try to see if the errors go away. I would like to remain with the SSD. I have a very old one which I salvaged specifically for this. Write speeds are no great but reading speeds are a lot faster that a USB flash, and more reliable too.

Regarding the back-up/cloning I searched a log and found controversy. But between using 'dd' and the one linked above, which one would you recommend to have the lowest chance of failure? (The target would be another SSD or HDD)

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The boot drive cloning operation I linked is an off-line process that works well for 8 to 32GB thumb-drives. Anything larger than 32GB adds considerable time to the cloning process. If a boot drive is USB connected, it can be cloned off-line. The question is, how long will it take?
    Cloning flash media boot drives was a process that was ginned up and documented for beginners and SBC users. (**But it should be noted that experienced admin's use cloned boot drives, as well, because restorations are FAST.**)
    The linked cloning process is fully documented, explained at length, it's dirt simple and it's easy to test the generated backup. Further, a restoration, using "the backup" (replacing a physical device) is nearly fool proof and can be done in a matter of a few minutes.

Other more advanced methods (dd, OMV's backup plugin, etc.) are arguably better in that they can be automated and the admin may have choices among several different backups. Further, dd and other methods may be better suited to larger boot devices because they tend to be faster. However, more advanced methods add decision points, time, and complexity to a potential restoration, when the admin may be "wobbling" in the aftermath of an outage. On the down side of the more advanced methods, many users tend NOT to test their backups or their restoration process before they need them. In some cases, when they need to restore their backup, they find that the backup or their process don't work.

In the bottom line, that is no "right" or "wrong".
    What it boils down to is, what are you comfortable with?

• What it boils down to is, what are you comfortable with?

I tried the 'dd' method by removing the system disc and cloning it on another system (Linux Mint) and it failed miserably. The back-up was completely useless. Maybe the petitioning on the original also got messed up however that one was still working. (I asked about it here)
    I will try again, but this time while running. I will be definitely testing it.

• I tried the 'dd' method by removing the system disc and cloning it on another system (Linux Mint) and it failed miserably. The back-up was completely useless.

Not much can be said about this when you don't reveal exactly what you did on the command line.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!