Services listening by default, but not explicitly enabled in the web interface

• New to OMV with a relatively new install of OMV7. Trying to establish a baseline for network transfer speeds using iperf3 and I'm not sure of the port that's been configured in the OMV iperf3 plugin. So I run ss -l -n -4 -p to see what's actually listening, thinking that, by enabling the iperf3 plugin via the web interface, it should now be listening on a port as part of the iperf3 client/server duo. It's not, but that's another issue for a different post.

ss -l -n -4 -p gives the following output:

Aside from rsync, chronyd, systemd-resolve, I don't understand why services (specifcally smbd and wsdd) are running. I don't use SMB and I certainly haven't enabled it in the web interface.

Also, why is rpcbind listening on all interfaces and not just the loopback? I think salt is being used for manipulating the system via the web UI... is this related?

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

iperf3 uses port 5201 by default. Since the plugin is not specifying a port, it will use the default. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…gined/rpc/iperf3.inc#L137

I don't understand why services (specifcally smbd and wsdd) are running. I don't use SMB and I certainly haven't enabled it in the web interface.

Have you rebooted? Services are enabled by default when installing the package. But with no config, it isn't sharing anything. You could enable samba and disable it to run the saltstack code or run sudo omv-salt deploy run samba if you are worried about it.

why is rpcbind listening on all interfaces and not just the loopback?

OMV is not configuring anything with rpcbind's config file. This is the default config from debian. But if rpcbind is only listening on loopback, how would remote clients use nfs?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your response. I realize that decisions regarding default behavior and the initial user experience are a matter of opinion. That said, from my perspective, if this checkbox in the web interface...

...isn't enabled, then the SMB daemon should not be running. Ditto for the "web service discovery daemon" that appears to be SMB-related. I don't think that's an irrational expectation.

Regarding rpcbind: I see (now that I'm receiving errors in the browser) that the PHP application is expecting RPC calls from the front-end.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I realize that decisions regarding default behavior and the initial user experience are a matter of opinion. That said, from my perspective, if this checkbox in the web interface...

...isn't enabled, then the SMB daemon should not be running. Ditto for the "web service discovery daemon" that appears to be SMB-related. I don't think that's an irrational expectation.

And that is the goal with OMV. I didn't say it was an irrational expectation. There are just certain situations where a service is enabled by the debian package after OMV's saltstack code to configure it has run. saltstack isn't continuously running and maintaining the config. So, it is possible they can get out of sync. Did you install OMV from the iso? And yes, wsdd is enabled/disabled with samba.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!