Add disk to existing zfs pool or ZFS alternative for raidz1-0?

• I have OMV 7 installed and did setup a raidz1-0 pool with 3 drives and I'd like to add another drive to that pool. This unfortunately seems an edge feature RAIDZ Expansion feature by ahrens · Pull Request #12225 · openzfs/zfs · GitHub. This might come to Openzfs 2.3 one day. Is there any alternative than:

1 - move out all the files from current storage pool

2 - create new storage pool with 4 drives

Would any of the other multiple device file systems be a better alternative and more flexible? Should I have gone with a BTRFS option?

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Short answer is there's no easy expansion with ZFS raidz. Choose ZFS mirrors for easier expansion. Depends what you mean buy better, BTRFS has easy expansion but no production ready RAID5, nor does it have an in-built mechanism for monitoring multiple device BTRFS filesystem. BTRFS has a tendency to turn read-only when there are problems, such as mounting a degraded array.

• BTRFS has easy expansion but no production ready RAID5

I haven't been able to understand the details of ZFS raidz1 vs BTRFS raid1. But wouldn't a default raid1 btrfs be like raidz1 in zfs or would you need raid5 in btrfs to have something similar?

• But wouldn't a default raid1 btrfs be like raidz1 in zfs or would you need raid5 in btrfs to have something similar?

RAID 1, BTRFS or regualar, is a mirror of two disks. RAIDz1 is like RAID5, RAIDz2 is like RAID6 and for RAIDz3 there is no RAIDn equivalent.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von arschkrampe ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!