Backup plugin, changing drive letters & proper recovery

• Hi all! Please help a beginner with the backup issue.

1) First question. My scheduled tasks include rebooting the NAS once a week. Sometimes after a reboot the drive letters change for some reason. In the backup plugin using the dd full disk method. I must specify the root disk that needs to be backed up. How will this backup be performed on a schedule if after the next reboot of the NAS the drive letters themselves change? I cannot specify the UUID of the disk, because the system disk has three partitions and each partition has its own UUID. I currently have /dev/sda

2) Second question. After backing up using the full disk method, eight files appeared in my destination folder.

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.ddfull.zst

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.sfdisk

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.grubparts

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.grub

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.espdd.zst

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.packages

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.fdisk

/omvbackup/backup-omv-2024-04-29_00-38-08.blkid

In the future, after a possible breakdown, I will boot from a live USB. Which command should be correct and which file should I specify as the recovery source?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

My scheduled tasks include rebooting the NAS once a week. Sometimes after a reboot the drive letters change for some reason. In the backup plugin using the dd full disk method. I must specify the root disk that needs to be backed up. How will this backup be performed on a schedule if after the next reboot of the NAS the drive letters themselves change? I cannot specify the UUID of the disk, because the system disk has three partitions and each partition has its own UUID. I currently have /dev/sda

Strange to reboot your NAS when it doesn't need to be rebooted. If the /run/reboot-required file exists, then you need to reboot. Otherwise, you are just treating Linux like Windows.

Why do you have to specify a root disk? When you do this, the plugin doesn't auto detect root and therefore can't fix the changing drive letter.

UUIDs apply to filesystems. The backup plugin wants the root device when you override. There should be a link to the root device in /dev/disk/by-id that you could use since the plugin will read the link. So, it would look something like:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_840_PRO_Series_S1ATNEAD633508B

Since the id shouldn't change, Linux will update the link on each boot and the plugin will just do the correct thing.

Which command should be correct and which file should I specify as the recovery source?

Have you read the guide about this? Please search the forum since this has been covered many times.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• solio4wd

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!