Java Update Notification issue.

• I have recently had a series of daily update notifications from OMV to tell me to update default headless Java. These contain a "get" statement like this:

Code
    Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian bullseye/main armhf default-jre-headless armhf 2:1.11-72+b21 

The last 3 characters of the above started with b01 and increased by 2 every day. Each time I used the system>update management page to implement these and the next day I would get another one with a new 3 character ending to the get statement. I have tried to manually check (via the updates page) for further updates, but after installing the advised update, OMV says there are no more updates. But I get another email the next day.

Any suggestions welcome.

OMV 7 on 2 Raspberry Pi 3b's running Bookworm (Debian 12).

Java>MinimServer, BubbleUPnP Server.

• The update process gives this report:

for info

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Neither package is needed on an OMV install. Not sure how they got there but you can probably remove them. If you installed something outside of OMV then you might need to think about those packages and if they need java.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry, I could have added more detail. I am running bubbleupnp server which came with a dependency on default java. So I do actually need java, I just don't need a daily reminder to update it. These updates can't possibly all be necessary. I doubt they are even different from each other. I tried to examine the change log via the omv updates page, but this failed - see image.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

These updates can't possibly all be necessary. I doubt they are even different from each other

That is a bold assumption. Debian doesn't release updates for fun. Updates are for stability and security.

I tried to examine the change log via the omv updates page, but this failed - see image.

They are meta packages which point at java packages. The meta packages don't actually have changelogs. The changelog is here - https://metadata.ftp-master.de…ava-common_0.74_changelog

So I do actually need java, I just don't need a daily reminder to update it.

It is one email. Just delete it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Thanks for the comments and suggestions, ryecoaaron .

It is one email. Just delete it.

Since Debian doesn't release updates for fun, I guess I had better continue to install daily updates as advised by OMV notifications. Alternatively, I might investigate removing the default java and install a specific version, e.g. 8.

I just wondered if there was some way in which OMV (or CRON-APT?) could be getting confused about whether there really are updates to be installed or not.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Since Debian doesn't release updates for fun, I guess I had better continue to install daily updates as advised by OMV notifications. Alternatively, I might investigate removing the default java and install a specific version, e.g. 8.

OMV installs updates from the security repo daily by default. So, you really shouldn't have a lot of updates on a normal system unless you install a lot of packages. Installing a specific version shouldn't change anything other than removing any updates for the meta package. meta packages don't get updated that often.

I just wondered if there was some way in which OMV (or CRON-APT?) could be getting confused about whether there really are updates to be installed or not.

OMV configures cron-apt but cron-apt is emailing. I don't know how cron-apt would get confused. apt/dpkg knows if there are updates and whether they have been installed or not. Running bubbleupnp in a docker would avoid these issues as well since you aren't installing additional packages to the OMV install. https://www.bubblesoftapps.com…pserver2/docs/docker.html

• I solved this problem by upgrading to OMV7. This replaces java 11 with 17, and this does not involve any daily updates (so far!).

Regards,

Marmite

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

this does not involve any daily updates

it will. java always gets plenty of updates.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!