Food for thought

• I was looking around at nas software today, and noticed that the netgear readynas uses Ubuntu for its os.
    I then had a look at their download page for the applications, and inspected the html code and found that the packages deb files.
    I'm wondering if they will install on openmedial vault with a simple wget install.
    Qnap and Synolog use a different package type.

• No, because Ubuntu uses Startup to manage services. They may be able to be adapted but as is the answer is no.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was looking around at nas software today, and noticed that the netgear readynas uses Ubuntu for its os.
    I then had a look at their download page for the applications, and inspected the html code and found that the packages deb files.
    I'm wondering if they will install on openmedial vault with a simple wget install.
    Qnap and Synolog use a different package type.

The readynas is based on Ubuntu? Are you sure of that? A quick Google search didn't seem to reveal anything like that

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pretty sure it's Debian.

'

Ubuntu isn't Debian... I still can't find anything that a ReadyNAS is even Debian If it's actually Debian, you might be able to wget it.. depending on what version of Debian it is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

RAIDiator 4.x for the ReadyNAS Pro uses Debian Etch. OS 6 on the newer models use Wheezy/Sid.

Well if this is the case, then *in theory* (I don't know how much customization they've done to Debian in this case to lock it down).. If you have the version with Wheezy, you should be able to wget OMV 1.0 w/o issue. Can a ReadyNAS boot a USB? It might be easier to get a 2.5in hard drive, put it in an enclosure, Install OMV there... then boot the USB drive.

• The OS's on ReadyNAS boxes have always been pretty heavily modified. I find that all sorts of things are missing, and adding them can be a pain since the Debian version is so old. Just to give you an example, iptables isn't there, and it evidently is a "big deal" to get it installed properly. I wouldn't necessarily count on being able to install and run OMV, although I certainly haven't tried it myself. Maybe OS 6 on the newer models is better in that regard.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OS's on ReadyNAS boxes have always been pretty heavily modified. I find that all sorts of things are missing, and adding them can be a pain since the Debian version is so old. Just to give you an example, iptables isn't there, and it evidently is a "big deal" to get it installed properly. I wouldn't necessarily count on being able to install and run OMV, although I certainly haven't tried it myself. Maybe OS 6 on the newer models is better in that regard.

Well, if one of them is based on Wheezy, that's the latest stable Debian release, so age shouldn't be a factor there. Squeeze is starting to get long in the tooth, so that wouldn't work with OMV .6/1.0.

If installing IPTables is that big of an issue, I suspect they are using a heavily modified version of Debian... strange, that's for sure. I think you get way better hardware (for your money), and it's also way easier to replace parts/upgrade... if you build your own.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!