Greyhole plugin on Fedaykin

• Zitat von "moosefist"

yeah. Greyhole is exactly what i want, but from the CLI its a little daunting. I wish the gui plugin would be updated. Highly considering rolling back to .3

Honestly, its not bad at all, the command line is mostly used for just checking status of various things. (--stats, --iostat, --logs, --status, --view-queue) The seemingly "hard" part would probably be editing the config to add your drives, and copies per samba share. But all you really do is copy from the examples. You literally only need to add those 2 things. The config is very well documented, you really can't screw much up, the default values were fine for everything for my setup.

The thing I had the most trouble with was setting up the mount_shares_locally script so i could use the greyhole shares with the transmission BT server, and that needs to be done on the CLI anyway there is no OMV plugin for that.

• Yeah, I am sure I could figure it out. The documentation / community around greyhole seems to be very small at the moment with the exception of amahi (tried it, not impressed). I figured this is going to be a mess anyway i handle it because of migrating so much data. Correct me if I am wrong there is not a huge difference from .3 -> .4. Basically from what I understand it is a stepping stone to .5 where some more major changes are made.

I have a 64gb SSD (OMV installed) and a 3tb blank drive. My plan is to migrate 1.6tb of data off a 2tb drive to the greyhole array and then wipe the 2tb drive and add it to the array. Should I be using the SSD for my landing zone? I understand I would need to move everything in small enough chunks, but would it create issues when I add the new drive a balance the data (I think thats what balance is for?)?

• Yes from my understanding, .3 is the "stable" version and .4 is the "beta" type version, there is some thread somewhere explaining something to that effect. I just had some problems I was hoping were fixed in .4 so I went ahead and upgraded.

Landing zone should be as big as much data as you think you can possibly ever need to import into the pool at once. Since everything has to go there first, if you are in the habit of copying dozens of large video files around at once, then it needs to be big enough to handle that.

People seem to use different strategies for landing zone, I think a more popular one is to create a separate partition on one drive and use that exclusively for the landing zone.

I didn't do that, I just stuck it in the same partition as one of the data drives. I don't know if this will cause performance issues or some such, but that isn't something I am terribly worried about anyway. I figured I can always move it later if I have problems.

Now the only issue with using the SSD as the LZ is that because you have OMV installed on it, OMV will not allow you to create a share on that drive. That means it will also not allow you to create the samba mount that will point to it either, which means you will have to do ALL of that manually via editing the conf files, which could be a bit of an administrative headache. In fact, I suggest you do not do that, it just makes it too hard to keep track of ACLs and whatnot, i'd strongly recommend keeping the LZ shares within the OMV framework. Well, unless you create a separate partition on it just for LZ, I suppose that could work, if it could be large enough for your purposes. I'm not sure how large the avg landing zone is, I reserved 30gb on my datadrive for it.
    (Actually not even sure you can partition the system drive, does it force you to use the entire thing? Cannot remember.)

What I did is create a /shares directory on my 1st data drive and use that for LZ, then on same drive create /gh directory and use that for pool. Then after I set up mount_shares_locally I rsync all the data into the local samba mount. After it copied over and I verified everything was working (did md5 checks pool vs. original) then I went ahead and formatted the other data drives and add them to pool, and set copies[share] to however many i needed. I never even ran a balance as most of my stuff I did not require dupes of, and the stuff I did just duped by itself anyway.

• It would be great if we could obtain some clarification as to whether the greyhole plugin will be ported to 0.4 or even if it will ever be maintained/supported, especially since 0.3 is now officially end of life.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!