What can I NOT do with OMV?

• Hello

I am currently evaluating OMV via VMware Fusion on my Mac. I assume there are a lot of people out there like me (assumptions can be bad). Here is my situation:

• Looking to build a NAS/Server box
    • Looking at what base OS I should use (if any)
    • Looking at the various other NAS software "solutions"
    • Want to learn in the process

Basically, I am a Linux n00b. I really want to learn and have been enthusiastically reading/trying many things to which I am ignorant, which is a lot. I can program with Java and Python and have a few apps in the Play store so I am not completely ignorant. That said, I really want to learn SysAdmin, Networking and continue learning Python for web development, etc.

So with that in mind, here are my goals for my (not yet built) server: Play with Docker, Learn about EXSi, Do the typical NAS (backups, file storage, media), learn new technology...

Are my options better served with a "bare metal" install or running with a VM of OMV on a base OS?
    What can I NOT do with OMV in either situation?
    If I run in a VM what are the limitations?

I really appreciate any guidance or opinion!

• If you are going to want to use a lot of the media apps I suggest a bare metal install. If you want to watch movies/tv on a tablet remotely you need a decent cpu too for transcoding. I used to have an ESXi server but scrapped it for parts. I mostly use virtualbox now. I use vms a lot but do not need them running 24/7. It just depends on your needs.

• Thank you for the reply!

Ok, I guess that is where my confusion and lack of Linux knowledge lies. Do you run virtualbox on top of or inside (plugin?) OMV, or is it installed another way? I probably don't need to have VM's running 24/7 either, but would still like to have the option to spin one up if need be. Also, I have been digging into docker and from what I gather, I may not need full VM's for what I want to do... seems like its the way forward.

I have a windows 7 machine (older dualcore wolfdale) with XBMC installed. Its connected to our TV through a 60 foot HDMI cable and controlled with an iPod Touch. This machine will pull from the NAS/Server that I am spec'ing now. There may be streaming remotely in the future, so I am leaning toward at least a quad core intel offering to avoid hiccups. Also, want the cpu muscle for crunching on DB's, playing with networking stuff and more... I have a wide variety of interests in the Python space. I know I am probably chasing unicorns with my desire to get a lot of of one machine...

• There is a virtualbox plugin. I would run OMV on hardware. You can do everything you want with OMV (except maybe learn about ESXi).

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Create virtual machines just like you can with the desktop version of virtualbox. I run Windows Server and another instance of Debian Wheezy in virtual machines on my production server.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!