Tweak haswell builds for lower consumption

• Hi,

I successfully migrated my NAs from whs2011 to OMV two weeks ago.
    Everything is configured and working great (smb, sickbeard, deluge, ....) and now I'm trying to lower idle power consumption.
    My setup is: asrock z87E-ITX + Pentium G1820 + 4Go RAM 1.35v + SSD + 3x WD red 3To + 1x 1T0 5400rpm

Currently with OMV, it is 17W when disks are spindown: it's not bad, but I'm perfectionist ^^
    My idle power usage was around 12W in windows.

I check with powertop, 98% of the time in C6 but I can't hear the high pitching noise of the cpu I have in w8.
    I googled for solution, and found these tweaks
    I'll give it a try tonight.

I also read that installing OMV on top of a fresh debian 7.5 can help (better drivers and optimizations)
    Is it correct?

Thanks for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Installing regular Debian (7.8 is latest) will not change anything. Installing the backports 3.16 kernel (button to install in omv-extras) should help more than anything. I have an i7-4790 system with 16gb ram and 3 SSDs that is showing 14.5 w on the kill-a-watt at idle. I think it was 22 w with the standard 3.2 kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok,

So I achieve a 12W build yesterday!
    Just apply the given tweaks in OP, with 3.16 backport kernel and powertop tune.
    The only change I made is re-enable WOL (12.5W), to use autoshutdown.

Now I'm fully happy!
    OMV is really a great OS for NAS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!