Posts by metRo_

This might be a bit painful, but migration, if possible, may be more painful than a fresh install.

1. Install your OS on a 32GIG SD card.
    2. When your OS is set up, in OMV-Extras change your Docker Storage Path to somewhere on your Data drive: /srv/dev-disk...../docker
    3. Create two shares on your Data drive: nextcloud, and appdata.
    4. Use macom ’s How-To Guide on installing Nextcloud using docker-compose.
    5. Bonus: buy a second SD card and learn how to back up your OS and how to recover from an OS failure.

I think you didn't understand my question and it is fair since my English isn't very good. I was looking to move only nextcloud data from one disk to another. But I'll take your advise and do a sdcard before try anything.

1. Instead of "moving", make a verbatim copy of both "data" and "config" folders of Nextcloud from the SSD to the HDD.

I don't expect config folder to grow very quickly, Am I wrong? I was thinking of "moving" only data. Is rsync ok make a verbatim copy?

Understandable... I can only speak from personal experience... I don't load huge files (tops 5-10mb.. pictures, documents, that sort of thing)... My Nextcloud database is stored on a 4tb WD Green.

The initial setup and the first login was a bit slow (I think that was mostly due to Nextcloud's app store being extremely slow.. there's multiple complaints on this if you Google it) Once I created a few users, got my folders set up, etc.. It honestly it as fast as I could expect my 10yr old Celeron CPU to run a cloud server.

I have zero complaints with it.

My nexcloud container, db and data are all on the SSD and I'm happy with the performance. I'm thinking on move only data to HDD but I'm afraid that after move it I'll notice any degradation on performance. Both SSD and HDD are connected to RPi4.

To me, the size of the drive isn't the chief concern (at least as far as OMV is concerned)...

IMO, part of the beauty of docker, is you can insulate your services from the OS. In the event your OS drive fails.. just reinstall, reinstall docker and point it at your "old" containers directory... and presuming nothing else has changed (data paths, etc.).. you'll be back up in 5min

My doubt is about performance issues. Using a ssd vs hdd for Nextcloud data.

I'm right now deciding if keep the nextcloud data on SSD or move it to HDD since HDD is a 4TB while SDD is only 128GB. Do you notice any performance issue having the data on the HDD?

Hi,

I have OMV5 and Nextcloud running for a few months now on a RPi4. During this time I was able to evaluate it and I'm happy with it. Now I would like to structure it the correct way.

My setup is a RPi4 with a 4TB HDD (/srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/) and a 128GB SSD (/srv/dev-disk-by-label-OS/).

Nextcloud docker stack and also Nextcloud data is on SSD.

On the HDD I have shares for documents, photos, etc.

With the end of google photos free option I want to use nextcloud as an alternative and will also use it as an alternative to dropbox. Since we are two users on nextcloud that want to use it mainly as a photo backup I'm expecting that in some months or a year the SSD will be full.

1-Do you think it is ok to move the nextcloud data to the HDD?

2-Will I notice any performance degradation?

3-Since nextcloud needs to be always on it is ok the turn off the HDD spin down?

4-How do I setup nextcloud to start using a shared folder on HDD? Do I only need to copy the folder /srv/dev-disk-by-label-OS/appdata/nextcloud/data/ to /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/Nextcloud and then edit the volume? Or is there an automated way? I read on some posts about an External Storage App, is there any tutorial on how to set it up?

Thank you

I just notice that I set a spindown time but didn't enable Advanced Power Management.

When Reading form the disk its power consumption is 6W, when stop using the disk is 5W.

What are the difference between the different Advanced Power Management options?

What would you suggest me to use?

EDIT: right now the power consumption is 1W. Since Advanced Power Management is disabled, is it the usb dock that's spinning down the disk?

I'll connect a power meter to find out but when I go close to the disk it looks like it is always spinning.

I only enable the option on OMV now. Is it supposed that the usb dock put it on spin down by it self?

You can set this from the GUI

Storage >> Disks >> Edit >> Advance Power Management

How are these drives connected to the server? SATA or USB

USB. It is a RPi4 with a Dock Station Ewent EW7012 and a Seagate IronWolf 4TB 5900RPM 64MB SATA III.

What is the expected behavior related to disk spin down? It is enable by default? Mine looks like it is always spinning. It something that I can configure on OMV or like this post I need to set externally?

Thank you

There is any preferable way to measure the speed of a file transfer?

I use AJA System Teste on osx and windows:

Machine 1 osx - 10MB/s write and 25MB/s read

Machine 1 w10 - 29MB/s write and 31MB/s read

Machine 2 ubuntu - 16MB/s write and 16MB/s read

Machine 2 w10 - 33MB/s write and 32MB/s read

Both machines were close to router on a 5GHz connection with a bandwidth around 750mbps. The test a use 1GB file.

I read that some of you got speeds near 100MBs. What could cause it?

When I send a request to my router on port 443/80 it forward the request to my host, 192.168.1.108:444/81. Then swag got the request and forward it to nextcloud because I have set it on my nextcloud server:

Code
    'trusted_domains' =>
    array (
    0 => '192.168.1.108:443',
    1 => 'nextcloud.mydomain.duckdns.org',
    ),

Is that how it work?

Change my ip and port to this and it seems to be working as supposed.

Code
    'trusted_domains' =>
    array (
    0 => '192.168.1.108:444',
    ),

When I send a request to my router on port 443/80 it forward the request to my host, 192.168.1.108:444/81. Then swag got the request and forward it to nextcloud because I have set it on my nextcloud server:

Code
    'trusted_domains' =>
    array (
    0 => '192.168.1.108:443',
    ),

Is that how it work?

When I uncomment the line I got this error:

EDIT1:

Change to port 443 and now it is working but browser tell me it is insecure and that the certificate is invalid.

Also both mydomain.duckdns.org and nextcloud.mydomain.duckdns.org point to nextcloud.

EDIT2:

It looks like I messed up with dnsmasq. I disable dnsmasq and using my router dns I can access my nextcloud :)

EDIT3: now if I want to have another subdomain for another server it won't work if I use port 443