Beiträge von Agricola

I have been experimenting with the backup plugin for three days now, while following this thread. Here are a few observations:

When you click the "Schedule backup" button in the Backup tab and save your choice (daily, weekly, etc.) you are creating a Schedule Job in the Schedule Jobs tab. If you repeat that process thinking you are changing the job from one schedule to another, you are not. You are creating a separate job. Every time you save a backup schedule in this way you are creating an additional job in the Schedule Jobs tab. If you want to change the backup schedule from daily to weekly, go into Schedule Jobs and delete all but the one you finally choose. The pics below may help for you visual people.

I stumbled across this when I went to burn an image earlier today and found two .ddfull.gz images for June 30. They were created one minute apart, one at 00-00-01, and one at 00-00-02. This may account for the failed/messed up sd cards I burned today.

On two attempts I was not able to get a successful sd card using usbimager on this little Debian box I'm using. The first time when I plugged it into the hc2 and turned it on, the blue light blinked a couple of times and then nothing. Nothing via command line, and nothing via the browser. The second attempt using the other .gz image with usbimager I was able to boot the hc2 but the login screen failed to allow a login. I was able to login to the command line. Next I burned a sd card using Etcher on my Mac and was successful. Sort of. I was able to log in. I clicked around the tabs and everything looked fine until I looked at the Shared Folders tab and SMB tab. My Media folder was missing. I had just created it a few days ago in preparation for testing Jellyfin. The Media folder was absent from the shares on both my Debian machine and my Mac. But Jellyfin still worked when I went to the web page. Files in the Media folder showed up and played fine.

Now that I have all jobs deleted except one daily job in the Schedule Jobs tab, I will try to create a successful sd card with tonight's backup.

I will report in with an update tomorrow.

You probably forgot to burry chicken bones under the front porch. Sometimes Voodoo helps.

I’m sorry but you have exhausted my limited tool box. Hopefully someone will step in who is more able to read your tea leaves.

I can’t tell you how many times I had to reinstall when I first started out.

Good luck.

Try rebooting your server and clearing your browser’s cache and then try to download the image. If that doesn’t work remove and reinstall Portainer and then have a go at it. These things can’t hurt. Make sure you are spelling the image name correctly.

I was just thinking about this very thing. I’m thinking “What good is a backup stored on the machine it is intended for?” It needs to be stored remotely. Here is what I’m thinking:

• Create a shared folder just for backups. Name it something like rpi4backup to distinguish it from backup folders of your other servers.
    • Set the Backup plugin to backup to that dedicated share, and set it to keep x number of backups. Set the cron to run daily or what ever you want.
    • Set another server (your backup machine) to pull a Rsync job in Scheduled Jobs just for the dedicated share and set it to run on the same schedule as is set up for the backup.
    • Set the same jobs up in reverse to backup your backup server. What? You don’t have a backup server?

Could the reason be the pihole which is working as a DNS in my network?

The the pihole is a container on the OMV machine.

I a thinking about putting pihole on a separate raspberry pi.

Edit: Something is wrong on my setup. The file dhcpcd.conf is completely empty. Is that normal? I tried to setup the DNS manually.

Quoting from the top of the second page of this Pi-hole how-to "To insure that any potential issues with Pi-Hole do not interfere with the OMV host/server, a direct DNS server entry should be configured in OMV as follows: Under System, Network, click on Interfaces, and Edit."

Now this is an OMV 4 how-to, but in any case, I never give any of my servers my Pi-hole address as a DNS server. The purpose of Pi-hole is to block ads on your desktop machines. We may be talking past one another. I don't know, but it may be why you are having trouble with Portainer.

It just dawned on me that you could run your os on a 32gig thumb drive (SanDisk Ultra Fit: $7 on Amazon) and have both data and backup internal. But that is a different issue, as in BACKING UP YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM.

You need to run a mirrored backup using Rsync. Putting the ssd in a usb enclosure would be fine. This guide has a couple of “Getting Started” pdf guides, one for OMV4 and one for OMV5. Starting on about page 59, depending on which version you are looking at, there is a detailed explanation of full disk mirroring and recovery using Rsync. When you have hdd Rsync’d to ssd you simply “repoint” your shares to the new ssd. You are done unless you want to remove the hhd and place the ssd in its place. What you should do is just reverse the physical locations of the drives and adjust your Rsync job and you have a backup of your data. That would be wise. Be careful with Rsync. If you get “Source” and “Destination” switched you will wind up with two empty drives. It says as much in the guide several times.

Good luck.

Wiped the disk, added etx4 and on mount getting errors, see below.

Did you do this from OMV GUI, or command line? It needs to be set up from the GUI.

Zitat

Result: False Comment: mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-files: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.You may have a faulty USB stick. Do you have another one to try? I'm just shooting in the dark. Maybe someone else will see something in the error that I cannot. Good luck.