Posts by _calm_bomb_

Thank you for answer, but that not help me. I have a valid DNS address configured, OMV works fine. I just want to to map domain names to IP addresses in /etc/hosts. For example:

192.168.10.10:8765 heimdall.mydomain.com

First of all, that is not a valid hostname. You can't specify a port in /etc/hosts.

I can tell you what I've done: I use PiHole docker container for dns in my home network and there you have the option to add your own hosts. But again, you can't specify a port like that.

Yes... I just started using portainer, but I don't do anything from the UI: just edit docker-compose files and add them to stacks. Works wonders. Thanks all so far for your opinions.

Trying to install OMV 5.3.9 on my system, the installer is not able to install grub on the disk you've chosen if you're using UEFI with CSM (Compatibility Support Module) enabled!

I thought it was an issue with OMV and I tried to do the Debian 10 Minimal installation with the same result -so the problem is in the debian installer. Then I found a discussion on reddit where people mentioned CSM as being the problem. So I went and disabled CSM in the UEFI setup and the installer worked as it's supposed to.

This is just a heads-up for other people getting this.

While waiting for a new HDD to arrive to replace an old failing one, I'd like to have a discussion on what you prefer: using portainer or docker-compose?

I tried portainer a bit until I saw one of my disks was red in the SMART monitor tab and powered it off. I find it a bit cumbersome. I'm a pretty advanced linux user and I like KISS things. The old docker plugin was pretty good, even if lacking some features. But now I'm inclined to go the docker-compose route because portainer seems overly complicated for what I need.

So, what's your experience?

So, I'd like to upgrade from 4.x to 5 in the near future. At the moment I have a setup with ZFS and a lot of docker containers. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this? (I couldn't find one) Or should I try this scenario in a VM and then go with the actual update?

What are your thoughts?

I did that yesterday when I created the new container, but still no resolution from other docker containers. This is something to do with how the containers connect to the pi-hole container.

I've had my OMV set up for some time now and had never had any problems. But yesterday I noticed my NextCloud andoid app was not able to connect to my server, so I checked and saw that the container was running just fine, along with nginx and all the other stuff. So, I opened an interactive session on the container and saw that no host was being resolved. Then checked my other containers and all had the same problem.

Then I went back to the pi-hole container and saw that it was running just fine. Also, my home devices (laptop, phones, TV) were all just working fine and resolving any hostname, having the pi-hole as the DNS server.

Went back again in some of my containers and tried to ping my server - it worked. But nothing related to resolving hosts was working. Went back to the router and added 1.1.1.1 as DNS server along with my server and all started to work just fine.

Now, I checked the forum and found @flmaxey guide on setting up Pi-hole. I followed every step, the container starts and runs just fine, but its IP address is not accessible. My network is 10.11.12.0/24 and set up the pi-hole as 10.11.12.88.

So, went back and re-created pi-hole as I had it before. It still doesn't work in any container I have.

Bash: dig using local IP address
    bash-4.3# dig google.com @10.11.12.77
    ;; reply from unexpected source: 172.17.0.1#53, expected 10.11.12.77#53
    ; <<>> DiG 9.11.1-P1 <<>> google.com @10.11.12.77
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

This is my first time using OMV. I had my "server" set up manually (Debian) until now and I was using docker with docker-compose. I had no issues running a few containers before.

So, first thing I did was to get back with calibre-web container. I've done everything using the Docker plugin in OMV. I pulled the image (technosoft2000/calibre-web), then clicked on Run image. I set up everything like I had it before and it looked to be working well - I connected to http://my-ip.host:8080 (this is the port I chose) and I got to the setup of calibre-web, which asks for the path to the books library and some other stuff. Then clicked on Save and got a login button. When I clicked the login button I get redirected to http://my-ip.host:8080/login which says "Could not connect" and from then on I can't connect to that port.

Looking at the logs I can't see anything wrong, yet I can't connect.

Here's the log file