Beiträge von RomainD2

Thank you for your answer. So if I understand correctly, as soon as you restore an old image of the OMV6 OS, you delete the docker folder of the SSD data 1Tb, and you redeploy all the docker containers?

Which solution do you recommand about the docker data path, on /var or on the 1To SSD drive ?

Hi,

I would like to reinstall all my OMV6 server, and I would like to have the best installation method.

The OMV OS system will be on SanDisk MicroSD extreme pro 64go card, and I have a 1 To SSD for OS data, donwnload and temporary files. I also have several sata HDD drives for my personals data.

I read some OMV6 guide, as this one : https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…_backup#installing_docker

And I don't understand why the second solution could be better than the first one ?

Zitat

Before installing Docker: Take note of the default Docker Storage location. /var/lib/docker is located on the boot drive. This location is not an issue for hard drives and SSD’s of medium capacity (notionally, 128GB or larger). However, when using flash media to boot (8GB to 32GB), the boot drive is not a good location for media servers or downloader type Dockers. There are two possible solutions:

• The easiest solution is to change the Docker Storage path to a data drive. If the default path is changed, Downloader output and metadata created by media servers (Plex, Emby and others) will be stored on a data drive by default.
    • A more advanced solution would be to leave the default storage location in place (var/lib/docker) and configure Downloaders and media servers to store their output and metadata on a data drive, but this requires individual configuration of each Docker.

I have never changed my docker folder path, but in order to be sure that I will not have some space problems on my microSD card, I am wondering if the first solution is not the only way to go for my new installation. What do you think ?

Then, I understood how to simply backup and restore OMV6 OS sytem with my microSD card, but I don't understand how to backup the docker folder which is on my 1To SSD ?

For example, I make a backup only of my microSD card which contain the OS : Backup_OMV6_initial

Then, I modify some docker container, and new ones, but I have a problem with my system and I need to restore the "Backup_OMV6_initial" on my microSD card, will it works as there are modifications on the docker data path ? Or should I always backup and restore both OS and data drive ?

Furthermore, If I have two 64go SD card, I keep the first one for validate OS, and the second one to try some stuff (new docker containers, modifications of reverse proxy files, ...) may I switch between both OS configuration without backup & restore the 1 To SSD drive ?

Hope that you understand what I am asking :S

Thanks for your help !

Thanks for your help, I have ordered two 64go extreme pro SD card with the SanDisk matemobile USB to micro SD adapter.

So I will put my OMV 6 system OS on the micro SD card, it can be easily backup with windows software.

I also have a 1 To SSD for data system files and data nextcloud. But there is also somes other files that I don't need to backup.

I think that if I want to restore my whole system, I need to restore the OMV OS on the micro SD card, but I also need to backup and restore data files on the 1To SSD !

What do you recommend to make a backup of this disk that is not too big, and that I can easily restore in case of problems?

crashtest and macom thanks for your answers.

I already use cloneZilla to have backup of my SSD system disk.

However I thought that it was only possible to restore on the same drive which have the exact same size, I never tested on other disk.

The docker container which I am afraid about performance between SSD or USB stick is the home assistant container. I need to restart the container several times when I configure something in home assistant.

It depends on your use case:
    - If you're using OMV as a NAS, there's not much difference. Boot time will be a bit faster with an SSD. On the other hand, USB3 thumbdrives are plenty fast to boot up. (Depending on the hardware, less than a minute.) Further, if your server is up 24x7, boot times don't really matter.
    - If you're hosting a web page, a media server or running a bunch of Dockers from the boot drive, an SSD might make sense.

If you want to use the 120GB SSD and avoid rebuilding on an thumbdrive, I'd consider doing what gderf does with his SSD's. Get an external SATA to USB adapter, with a short cable, plug the SSD in a USB port and set it on top of the case. (And you'll recover a SATA port.)

Thanks,

I am using OMV as server with some docker container as Adguard, jdownloader, nextcloud, home assistant.

Is an SSD drive over USB has the same speed as over sata port ?

I thought that USB pendrive could be nice because we can easily backup the entire USB stick or have several to test some stuff and easily come back to the last OMV backup if there is a problem.

Is it possible to do that with two different drive, one sata drive for the nominal setup, and one USB stick to test, and transfert OMV os between them if the USB stick configuration is working?

Thanks for these really interesting posts !

However, I still have a question that is not clearly answered, is OMV 6 performances are better with SSD drives than USB pendrives ?

Today, I am using a 120 Go SSD drive, however, I am interested in releasing a Sata port for a hard disk drive.

Have you made some performances comparisons between SSD and USB pendrives ?

Thanks

Bad luck, I have the same problem...

I have one 4 To HDD and one 10To HDD. The 4 To HDD Seagate Iron wolf NAS is spinning down with the official OMV6 way, but not the 10To Seagate drive (ST10000DM005).

I tried to use hd-idle, but I can't stop this drive :( I used the following parameters :

No disk monitoring on my dashboard

SMART disabled

The disk doesn't spin down :(

I tried this :

The sda disk seems to stop few milli-seconds but restart immediatly ! I tried to remove shared folders, but same thing happens...

Could you help me ?

Thanks

Hi,

I would like to make a new server setup with OMV 6. I were on OMV 5 with a 128 go ssd for the os, and 500go HDD for os data. Then, I have several hdd 2to to 4 to for my personal data.

I bought a 1to ssd in order to merge the OS and data on the same disk, but I saw that it is not recommended to use the same disk for os and data. I don't want to use USB stick for the os. Then, I think I will reuse the 128 go ssd for the OS, and the 1 to ssd for data OS.

I saw a lot of video of techodadlife, but there is something that I don't understand, it is the separation between os and data for the os.

What should I put on :

128go SSD OS

1to Data disk

?

For example, is the docker folder should be on the OS disk or data disk?

If I want to backup my server with clonezilla, I need to backup both OS and data ssd?

Thanks for your help

3. option: keep your setup and build an ARM-based server for your parents?

I try this solution with RPi2 and RPi3 few years ago, but it wasn't a good choice because of some limitations, for example the ethernet connexion shared with the USB port, transfers were really slow !

Which ARM plateform do you recommend ?

Why not use the SATA ports on the Asrock board, and solve all the problems with internal HDD?

Yes it is a possibility, but I still need another server ! If I reuse the Asrock motherboard for my parents, I will only use one HDD for data backup that I can install inside the actuel Asrock server.

Hello,

I currently have an old server with OMV 5 based on Asrock Q1900, with a Quad Core J1900 processor. It is inside a small case (Antec ISK110), and I use several external USB HDD for storage, and an internal 120Go SSD sata for openmediavault. I don't think that I have some processor limitation on my actual server, I essentially use Home assistant, NextCloud, AdguardHome and Backup for my desktop. The limitations are :

1/ The SSD, which is too small

2/ External USB HDD which is not a good solution : Somes USB drive doesn't enter into sleep mode :(

3/ I also have few unavailability, I need to reboot my server manually.

On the other hand, I have a desktop computer based on AMD 3400G processor, SSD 1To, that I use every day. Maybe I would like a real computer with a real graphic card, but it is actually a little bit overpriced !

I would like to add an OMV server at another place : at my parents' house.

I thought about two solutions :

1/ Converting my desktop computer, with the 3400G, as a server at home, and sending the Asrock Q1900 server to my parent house. I need to buy a new desktop computer in that case.

2/ Find another low power consumption motherboard, as J3455 or more recent processor to replace my home server, and send the Asrock Q1900 server to my parent house.

I am a little bit worried about the power consumption of this server, and it is difficult to imagine the power consumption of the 3400G configuration, and if it is not an overrated solution for my application.

What do you think ?

Thanks. ;)

Found it !!! It was the homeassistant database, the file home-assistant_v2.db, which was really heavy because of storing sensor state with a huge refresh rate!

Plus the local snapshot of Home assistant which was saving this huge database!

Hi,

I tried to make an update of my home assistant docker container, and It wans't working anymore because my disk was full...

It is not the first time that this problem appears... I made a docker container prune, and a docker volume prune, which give me some little space, arround 1Go, and I was able to login again to my OMV server Web interface. However, I am still worried about the space used by docker...

I saw this post which seems to be related to my problem, and I tried some stuff : Unable to log into web gui after update

There are something that seems bizare to me on my configuration :

1596568566-omv-docker-problem2.png

The docker system df command tell me that I only use arround 7Go maximum, but the overlay2 folder inside the default docker folder has a size arround 15Go! It is a lot of space as I am using a small SSD for my system, and I would like to keep the docker folder on the SSD to have the best response time for my services...

I think the home assistant docker container take a lot of space to update, and then doesn't purge the unnecessary data...

Do you have any idea how to resolve that ?

Hi,

I am using the captvty application on my windows computer, and I found this interesting docker which can run this application on linux:

https://hub.docker.com/r/k3ck3c/captvty/

But I don't really understand if there are a web gui interface to acess this application from a specific port, as for example with jdownloader which I am using that way (https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/jdownloader-2/)

I tried to install it with command lines, but I haven't found the way to access to the application GUI.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am trying to install this docker:

https://github.com/daBONDi/go-rest-wol

I tried to install it with the command lines, as specified in the github page, but I don't know where is the computer.csv to edit id with my settings.

I would like to install it with portainer in order to force the patth of this file on my AppData filder, and I don't know how to choose the path for the computer.csv file. I tried /config, but it doesn't work:

1589966605-capture.png

Thanks for your help!

I also have all these errors, and I try to do the above procedure, but one command doesn't work :

Code
    root@rdhome:~# ls -l /sbin/start-stop-daemon*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    94 mai   14 11:10 /sbin/start-stop-daemon
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 44200 juin   3  2019 /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL
    root@rdhome:~# mv start-stop-daemon.REAL start-stop-daemon
    mv: impossible d'évaluer 'start-stop-daemon.REAL': Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

Could you help me ?

Thanks

Hi,

I have a problem with my external USB3 hard disk drive connected to my OpenMediaVault server.

To begin, everything was working fine on OMV4, I have this problem since I have reinstalled all my server under OMV5.

After few minutes, even when I use the hard drive, the disk seems to spindown, and it disappears from the disk management on the OMV GUI.

BEFORE

1589883800-problemes-hdd4.png

1589883685-problemes-hdd3.png

AFTER

1589883685-problemes-hdd2.png

1589885838-problemes-hdd5.png

I need to disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it to find again my disk in the disk management list, and then to mont again the drives...

I tried to force maximum performance and consumption, with no spindown on these disk, but with no success... On OMV4, it was working fine, even with the spindown enable, the disk wasn't disappear from the list, and when I had to access to my files, it was spin up again with no problems.

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks

I think I have found the problem...

1589704789-disk.png

What is this overlay2 folder which take me so much disk space ?