Posts by MarcS

well that case is designed for 2x sas drives. But i stuck 4 inside (into the Floppy and CD Rom space) so I know the cause of the issue. But before this heatwave there was never a problem.

I tried opening the case which doesn't help because the 3 fans inside become ineffective.

I have a problem with my system since migrating to OMV6. The CPU is blocked with activities from the SMB Server and I don't know why.

I am attaching the syslog and the process table below.

Could it be a problem with Mergerfs?

Any help appreciated.

Marc

syslog.txt

I had the same problem.

UnionFS is no longer working since recent OMV5 updates (I believe Debian updates caused the break).

Despite many suggestions from helpful guys here, I found no permanent solution. In the end I migrated to a clean OMV6. This also causes some problems with UnionFS which I need to fix manually after every boot, but at least it runs.

You need a fan from an air hockey table. I built a render farm in a PVC tube ..

ha. Very inventive. I will check out their size. Thanks

The fans a strong but expensive. I can get 2 of my HDs for the price of the fan, so maybe I risk the temperature exposure :)

Are they 10k or 15k rpm drives? While I like lower temps as well, I have 10k rpm SAS drives in 2U servers in a 22 C data center that average in the upper 40s/low 50s. Some of the drives are 8 years old (hdfs test cluster where we just throw cheap or old storage at it). In my opinion, start/shutdown is harder on drives than those temps.

They are 10k and since they are SAS the never spin down. In fact they sound like an old jet at take off but thats ok. Yes they are also 10 years old but reliable. I always tried to keed them around 36 to 42 degrees. Now they run at 52 to 54. So far they are holding up but I thought some additional cooling could help.

Docker is just another stack of risk added. The chance that something breaks in a Docker setup with containers etc etc is much much greater than running a simple Linux application that's been around for 30 years. OpenVPN like SSH or SMB. They will not go down. Docker is whole stack of complexity. Docker is great for running big, non critical applications.

I have OpenVPN on 3 physically separate servers (just to be sure). It's a simple Linux app and easily installed. Running multiple instances is easy to maintain.

My server is struggling with the heatwave.

I am using a HP Z440 workstation tower with 4 SAS 3.5’’.

With the ongoing heatwave some of the disks constantly have temperatures of above 52 degrees which I think is not very healthy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to add extra cooling?

Did you read post #2 on this thread? I have used openvpn in docker and see little reason a plugin is needed.

Because it was a painful plugin to maintain. Feel free to maintain it.

As someone who has worked extensively on the openvpn plugin and the author of the wireguard plugin, you have this backwards.

It does not work using OpenVPN inside Docker as it is such a basic access tool. If I want to log into the servers behind my firewall and maybe need to repair docker or any other component, I cannot have the access gate (OpenVPN) depend on Docker.

Docker is good for server applications not for network access apps.

Hello guys.

I do love the OMV Forum but it would be so much more effective if we could keep the replies to previous conversations in our inbox.

I only see replies once and if I go into the thread but don't reply, it is gone from my Inbox.

This makes it impossible to go back later and write a reply.

Or am I missing something?

Many thanks!

Did you read post #2 on this thread? I have used openvpn in docker and see little reason a plugin is needed.

Because it was a painful plugin to maintain. Feel free to maintain it.

As someone who has worked extensively on the openvpn plugin and the author of the wireguard plugin, you have this backwards.

From a programmer perspective Wireguard may be more convenient, but as someone who has setup plenty of remote servers over the years, I am talking as user or admin person.

OpenVPN takes 10 minutes and we never ever got Wireguard to connect properly.

Maybe its our setup but I would have though its all very standard. We have a file server behind a firewall and want to use VPN for 2 tasks:

1) access files on the server from outside via VPN.

2) manage all maintenance tasks on all internal hosts remotely. That means access all configuration GUI screens (like OMV GUI and Docker, Portainer etc) and SSH into hosts remotely (via VPN).

The Firewall has port forwarding to the VPN server and OpenVPN has an option to allow traffic to other hosts as well. Thats one tick and all we need. In 10 minutes it works. Wireguard never worked when installed under Linux and windows clients.

Apart from the fact that Wireguard is more difficult to setup (and as I mentioned we never got it to work), is it a lot of work to convert Openvpn? It is so widely used and I can contribute resources if thats the issue.