Beiträge von 22/7

auanasgheps

Great post/thread. I didn't see your thread before now so it instills some confidence in me that I managed the parts I found on my general research.

I am hoping to maybe virtualize somethings here or there which is why I went the max ram route.

In your thread another user posted that your build isn't any cheaper than the synology but my short-lived experience with the synology is that I don't like having the os on the data drive which is what I saw from using my two throw away drives for initial setup.

The board I picked is a thin mITX that uses SODIMM ram slots for the extra compactness. I plan on 3d printing some brackets/carriages for extra drives when the time arises. Right now I am only at the 1 10tb drive active in my hc2 with another 10tb on standby.

Your thread did show me one item I missed...the cpu cooler. If I can't find a similar one at my local bestbuy/computer store then online it shall be.

Many thanks.

ryecoaaron You scared me for a bit. I saw that 95w on the listing but remembered reading 65w in the description and then I thought I was wrong when you pointed it out lol.

The full size atx psu support was another factor in the case for me. Eventually if I wanted to upgrade to a thick mitx board I have that option.

Thanks for the verification. I will be building my nas from these parts.

Hello all.

Not too long ago I went down the path of acquiring a synology ds220+ in the hopes of replacing my odroid hc2 currently installed with omv4/deb9. When I setup the hc2 near a year ago I used a pre-made image (omv4/deb9 sdcard image) and then modified the system to my needs. I was able to succeed.

Now for some recent time I had been going down the rabbit hole of docker due to my 6 rpi's all netbooting off my hc2. I figure I could just host some of these services on my hc2 via docker. Turns out omv4/deb9 is eol and upgrading is going to be an adventure which led me to the synology. The synology only lasted maybe 30 minutes powered on before I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't realize the os was stored on the data drive as well. Not my preference. I have not had issues managing data drives separately from os drives and I prefer to stay that course.

So I returned the ds220+ and I am now looking at some hardware to build a nas of my own. Basically I am trying to aim at hardware just above what the ds220+ hardware was and then some. I have not been keeping up with the hardware times.

So this is what I managed to get together for the time being. Hoping for some thoughts from other hardware experts. I really do like this combo so far but I think a big issue for most people would be the number of sata connections. It currently only supports two sata hdd (2.5/3.5) with nvme for the os drive.

32GB RAM (2x16GB)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Core i3-8100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Asus Prime H310T

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…n_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

250GB SSD for OS

Power adaptor

Cooler Master Elite 110 case

I am certain the total cost for all these pieces together I could have gotten another pre-built nas kit but unless I go to server level nas (1u style or larger) I haven't found any pre-built nas kit that accommodates more than 8gb of ram.

Honest critiques are welcome. Remember, I haven't kept up with hardware trends since maybe 2012 so some here might think there is a better combo. As a budget build I would like to know how this fairs.

Thanks all.

You can try to upgrade your HC2 from OMV4 to OMV5 without having to reinstall. No guarantee it will work, but if you have a clone of your SD card ....

Once the synology is live and I have all my services migrated that will be an exercise just to see if it can be done. I have a webpage tagged somewhere in which the author did exactly that (omv4/deb9 to omv5/deb10) albeit with some errors he had to fix along the way and the author even admitted there may be other aspects not working but he hadn't discovered it as of his writing due to his needs had been met to that point.

Essentially once the synology is fully live the hc2 will be relegated to random testing adventures.

Thanks for your reply mervincm.

I was definitely planning to disable anything not needed. I ran into xpenology in my research but since I purchased a synology rig I wasn't concerned about it. What were you running xpenology on if you don't mind?

I have found some pages where older synology rigs have had netbsd installed onto it so I will just keep my eye out for anything related to getting another os on my rig when the time is right.

After more research I will just use the DS220+ as is. With docker and vm capabilities I actually would have more than enough to get my system up and expanded. I really did like how I got used to omv but since omv4/deb9 eol'd which was pushing me to have to near start from scratch again I will just re-create everything on the synology. Thanks all.

I had setup OMV4 on an odroid hc2 near a year ago. At that time it was the path of least resistance because I used a pre-made image.

It took a good amount of time to get everything setup and working with no issues or worries. It was doing a simple duty of being a NAS and TFTP server for my netbooting pi4's (6) so I also got well versed in managing my netboot section for each pi. One of the pi4's was a pihole server. That's all it did.

I started looking at the idea of consolidating some of my services (like pihole, openvpn etc.). I was looking at the vpn plugin for OMV4 and went down the rabbit hole of docker and such. I am behind in the times.

So now I want to try docker but OMV4 and Debian9 (xu4 board on the hc2) are EOL and all my research is saying I have to clean install OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster). I am already looking at a lengthy process of backing up or archiving my omv settings and doing much work over again.

So, I went and purchased the Synology DS220+ with upgraded/increased RAM. This model (from research) is capable of running docker. Since I am going down the rabbit hole of docker I figured I might as well get the hardware to play with it.

So after having said all that, is it a good idea to run OMV5/Deb10 in a docker container on the ds220+ or should I just stick to what synology offers with their DSM and run docker for other services?

I have been very happy with my omv setup but since the new hardware comes with its own os should I stick with omv?

I installed the WOL plugin but maybe I am confused.

It seems, from the way I am interpreting the web gui for WOL, that OMV would send WOL packets TO the systems added in the plugin.

Is this correct?

Currently I have omv4 installed on an odroid hc2 connected to a ddwrt router that is also capable of WOL.

The only circumstances I need omv running is tftp, nfs, smb access.

For example, when the autoshutdown plugin suspends the nas, I want any activity (especially tftp) to bring omv out of suspend.

Is wol on omv the answer here or should I look to ddwrt to intercept traffic destined for the omv and then send the wol packet on behalf of the systems?

Thanks.

I hope this is a simple enough question and simple enough solution.

I would like to secure my omv nas in some way. Right now I believe I require a simple solution. Block all outside access EXCEPT for those needed to update omv over the net.

I only need my INTRAnet to be able to access the omv resources (tftp, nfs, smb etc.) but I still need omv to be able to update itself if needed.

Is there a dummies guide for this anywhere?

Many thanks.

Edit: I ran into an older thread (omv3) but I was able to adapt it to omv4 for the needs

This may seem like a weird question but I have two services showing up that are not enabled or being used. Those two services are FTP and Rsync.

They are not enabled and being used in the webgui but I have successfully been able to use rsync on omv via ssh. I am using tftp instead of ftp for my network booted pi4.

I am assuming that these "services" are actually plugins and don't affect my use via ssh despite them being disabled in the web gui.

My question is how do I remove these services from showing up in the web gui? I have checked the plugins sections and do not see a listing for ftp or rsync server.

Many thanks.

Making some progress.

Nfs is working. Tftp is working. Rsync from within omv and pulling files is working. The network side appears to be working in terms of I see the tftp file requests from the raspberry pi to the omv.

Now, I am not sure if it it is a permissions issue, file not found issue or something else.

When my pi requests files it is looking for files I believe exist (at least when I do ls on omv they are there).

Is there a way to set tftp to log more than just files requested? I would like to see if the files are being served as not exists or permission denied. So far when I tail the syslogs for tftp messages it only shows file requests and not errors.

Anyone know how to get more details out of the tftp and logs besides just adding --verbose to the extra options?

------------------
    Edit:

It was a file not found error. I created a needed symlink wrong so it wasn't registering properly. Next problem is getting the pi to mount the nfs share during boot for the rootfs.

------------------
    Success!

Raspberry pi 2 model b v1.1 is netbooting from files hosted on the omv drive and root is mounted properly to the omv drive. Now I just have to figure the correct sequence of steps to do from start to finish.

So I tested mounting and writing to the nfs share on omv and it worked.

I guess I was thinking that since I created a user that had access to the specific share that I needed to use those credentials.

I test mounted the nfs share from within my raspberry pi with no user credentials and proceeded to create two new text documents. Apparently unlike smb from windows, user credentials aren't enforced with nfs between unix/linux?

So with that sorted my next step is to rsync from the running raspberry pi to the nfs share in omv. That will be another day as my time is up for tonight.

crashtest,

Thanks for that rsync information.

So I guess the plugin is not what I need.

On the guides I was going off of, rsync was being used to copy over the filesystem of the raspberry pi to the nfs share while retaining permissions. It wasn't being used for regular backups or moving data between shares.

So with that I will be looking into how to just rsync from the pi to omv as my next step. But with that is another question, can I not use the users I created to access the nfs share? For example, when mounting the shares, alot of the guides are using the anon flag which, to me, seems like the "easy way" especially when I would like to control overall access to the directory.

Hello all.

The short/quick problem I am having is I am trying to setup network booting for 3 raspberry pis (pi 2, pi 4 [x2]).

More detail:

My progress so far has been based off what guides I could apply properly to this point.

So far I have setup omv v4 on an odroid hc2. I have installed/enabled the plugins I believe is needed (nfs, tftp). I have shared folder and some users created to access the shared folder.

My router has ddwrt installed. I was hoping to leverage ddwrt to serve option 66 (tftp) with the dhcp lease. Still figuring this out.

I want to install rsync but have no clue how to go about that at this point.

My raspberry pi 2 b is currently my 3d printer server and I would like to migrate this pi to a netboot state. This means I would need to use rsync to copy the rpi2 working sdcard to the omv share. I have no clue how to do this yet.

Right now, I can access the smb share on omv that I created from my win10 box with no issues. I tried using the native win10 nfs client to mount the nfs share from the omv but all the guides are using anon option and I am trying to use the created user for the nfs share. I have not bee successful in connecting to the nfs share.

Rsync, I'm at a complete loss as to how to configure this on omv to be a server. I believe I need the rsync on the omv to be a server and then from within my rpi use rsync to copy files over to the nfs share.

Does anyone have any ideas on an existing guide that might get me the rest of the way there?

Thanks.